Jessica Stahl, PhD
- Associate Professor
- Program Director, Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program (General Track)
- PhD in Counseling Psychology – University of Maryland, College Park
- MA in Counseling Psychology – University of Maryland, College Park
- BA in Psychology – Middlebury College
- CN501 – Clinical Skills & Practicum I
- CN502 – Practicum II
- CC524 – Diversity, Difference & Inclusion
- CD501 – Career Counseling
- RS610 – Research & Program Evaluation
Research and Practice Interests
- Practice interests - college student mental health, career counseling, LGBT concerns, and women.
- Research interests - counselor training/development and psychotherapy process/outcome, and qualitative research
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist and Health Services Provider (MA)
- “Excellence in Teaching” Award given to the WJC Counseling Psychology Department (2012)
- University of Maryland, College Park Psychology Department Bartlett Award for Excellence in Dissertation Research Design (2009)
- University of Maryland, College Park Counseling Psychology Program Fretz Scientist-Practitioner Award (2007)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Publications and Presentations
Stahl, J.V., Isenberg, D., Garcia, J., Letendre, P., & Noblet, N. (in preparation). The impact on counseling trainees of weekly journaling about learning from clients.
Stahl, J.V., Taylor, N.E., & Hill, C.E. (2012). Historical and philosophical background of qualitative methods. In Hill, C.E. (Ed.), Consensual Qualitative Research: A Handbook. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Stahl, J.V., Hill, C.E, Jacobs, T., Kleinman, S., Isenberg, D., & Stern, A. (2009). When the shoe is on the other foot: A qualitative investigation of intern-level trainees’ perceived learning from clients. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 46(3), 376-389.
Goates-Jones, M.K., Hill, C.E., Stahl, J. & Doschek, E. (2009). Therapist response modes in the exploration stage: Timing and effectiveness. Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 22(2), 221-231.
Stahl, J.V. & Hill, C.E. (2008). A comparison of three methods for assessing natural helping ability. Journal of Community Psychology, 36(3), 289-298.
Hill, C.E., Sim, W., Spangler, P., Stahl, J., Sullivan, C., & Teyber, E. (2008). Immediacy in brief psychotherapy: Case Study II. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training,45(3), 298-315.
Hill, C.E., Roffman, M., Stahl, J., Friedman, S., Hummel, A., & Wallace, C. (2008). Helping skills training for undergraduates: Outcomes and predictors of outcomes. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 55(3) 359-370.
Hill, C.E., Stahl, J. & Roffman, M. (2007). Training novice therapists: Helping skills and beyond. Invited paper in Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 44(4) 364-370.
Kivlighan, D.M., Markin, R.D., Stahl, J.V. & Salahuddin, N.M. (2007). Changes in the ways that group trainees structure their knowledge of group members with training. Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice, 11(3) 176-186.
Hill, C. E., Crook-Lyon, R. E., Hess, S., Goates-Jones, M. K., Roffman, M., Stahl, J., Sim, W., & Johnson, M. (2006). Prediction of session process and outcome in the Hill dream model: Contributions of client dream-related characteristics and the process of the three stages. Dreaming, 16(3), 159-185.
Owens, J.A., Stahl, J., Patton, A., Reddy, U., & Crouch, M. (2006). Sleep practices, attitudes, and beliefs in inner city middle school children: A mixed-methods study. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 4(2), 114-134.
Arnedt, J.T., Owens, J., Crouch, M., Stahl, J., & Carskadon, M.A. (2005). Medical resident performance impairment and self-assessment: Post-call vs. alcohol. Journal of the American Medical Association, 294(9), 1025-1033.
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- Consulting Editor, Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training
- Ad-hoc Reviewer, Counselling Psychology Quarterly
- Ad-hoc Reviewer, Journal of Counseling Psycholog
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Clinician, Kerzner Associates, PC (Psychotherapy Private Practice)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Salem State University Counseling Services
- American Counseling Association
- Massachusetts-Rhode Island Association for Counselor Education & Supervision
- American Psychological Association
- Society for the Advancement of Psychotherapy (APA Division 29)
- Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Issues (APA Division 44)
- Society for the Psychology of Women (APA Division 35)
- Society of Counseling Psychology (APA Division 17)
- Society for Psychotherapy Research
- Massachusetts Psychological Association