Sara Orozco, PhD
- Associate Professor
- PhD, Neuropsychology and Behavioral Neuroscience Georgia State University, APA-accredited
- MA, Neuropsychology and Behavioral Neuroscience, Georgia State University, APA-accredited
- BA, Dual major: Psychology and Communications, University of North Carolina, Asheville
- Counseling Theories and Techniques
- Consultation and Collaboration
- Child and Adolescent Psychopathology
- Adult Psychopathology
- Role of Intimacy and Human Sexuality
- Group Theory and Techniques
- Leadership and Use of the Self
- Emmanuel College: Interviewing and Counseling
- Boston College: Eating Disorders; Introduction to Psychology
- Boston University: Child Development
- University of California: Developmental Psychology
- Mesa College: Physiological Psychology; Introduction to Psychology
- Morris Brown College: Research Methodology; Physiological Psychology
- Georgia State University: Introduction to Psychology; Foundations of Psychology; Research Methodology
Research and Practice Interests
- Substance Abuse
- Research Psychologist, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Researcher, Mind/Body Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School
- Researcher, Harvard Medical School, McLean Hospital
- Statistical Consultant, Center for Women's Research, Wellesley College
- Graduate Research Assistant, Dept of Neurobiology and Behavior, Georgia State University
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist (Massachusetts # 8240)
- 2014 Lecturer, 37th annual Erich Lindemann Memorial Lecture
- 2012 Excellence in Teaching Award, Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology (department)
- 2010 Excellence in Teaching Award, Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology (individually)
- 1997 American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) Travel Award
- 1996 National Institute on Drug Abuse, Travel Award, Neuroscience Research in Drugs of Abuse, Society for Neuroscience
- 1996 Director's Travel Award to attend College of Problems on Drug Dependence
- 1994-1995 National Research Service Award, NIAAA Postdoctoral Fellow
- 2000-2001 Recipient, Irene Goodale Fellowship in Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 1993-1994 Recipient, American Psychological Association Neuroscience Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1993 Recipient, Marine Biological Laboratory Fellowship, Woods Hole, MA.
- 1991-1993 Recipient, Pre-Doctoral Fellowship, American Psychological Association Neuroscience
Publications and Presentations
de Castro JM, Elmore D, Brewer M, Orozco S. Social facilitation of the spontaneous eating patterns of humans is independent of time, place, alcohol, or snacks. Appetite 1990; 15: 89-101.
de Castro JM, Orozco S. The effects of moderate alcohol intake on the spontaneous eating patterns of humans: Evidence of unregulated supplementation. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1990; 52: 246-253.
Orozco S ,de Castro, JM. The effects of alcohol abstinence on spontaneous feeding patterns in moderate alcohol consuming humans. Pharmacology, Biochemistry & Behavior 1991; 40: 867-873.
Orozco S, de Castro JM. Effects of spontaneous alcohol intake on heart rate and ad libitum dietary intake in women. Pharmacology, Biochemistry & Behavior 1994; 49: 629-638.
Orozco S, Ehlers CL. Gender differences in electrophysiological responses to facial stimuli. Biological Psychiatry 1998; 44: 281-289.
Orozco S, Wall TL, Ehlers CL. Influence of alcohol on electrophysiological responses to facial stimuli. Alcohol 1999; 18: 11-16.
Orozco S, Lukas SE. Gender differences in acculturation and aggression as predictors of drug use in minorities. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2000; 59: 165-172.
Lukas SE, Orozco SE. Alcohol increases plasma THC levels and subjective effects after marihuana smoking in human volunteers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2001; 64: 143-149.
Patenaude AF, Orozco S, Li X, Kaelin CM, Gadd M, Matory Y, Mayzel K, Roche CA, Smith BL, Farkas W, & Garber (2008). Support needs and acceptability of psychological and peer consultation: attitudes of 108 women who had undergone or were considering prophylactic mastectomy. Psycho-Oncology 17, 831-834.
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Psychologist, Private Practice
- Clinical Director, Commonwealth Psychology Associates
- Psychologist, Wellness Community Cancer Center
- Therapist, Family and Couples Clinic, Brookline Community Mental Health Center
- Psychology Internship, Pediatric Oncology, Jimmy Fund, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Psychology Internship, Children’s Charter, Inc.
- Behavior Specialist, Georgia Mental Retardation Training Center
- Independent Executive Coach and Consultant
- NeighborWorks America
- Leadership Team Coach, Excellence in Governance Program
- Third Sector New England
- Executive Coach
- American Counseling Association
- Massachusetts Psychological Association
Major Committee Assignments:
- Elected Town Meeting Member
- Appointed Member, Massachusetts Health Disparities Council
- Chair, Legislature Working Group, Health Disparities Council
- Board of Visitors, Fenway Community Health
- Board Member, Needham League of Women Voters
- School Health Advisory Council, SEC, Needham Public Schools
- Speaker's Bureau, Boston Living Center (a non-profit community resource center for people living with HIV/AIDS)
- Hispanic Women's HIV Forum, St. Joseph's Hospital
- Buddy Program, AID Atlanta