Military Service Members and Veterans Scholarships
Military Service Members and Veterans Scholarship program recognizes the achievements and promise of veteran or military-affiliated students committed to pursuing a degree at the college. Applicants will be judged on a combination of academic achievement, leadership potential, and financial need. These scholarships provide up to a total of $40,000 and are subject to annual review of benefits, continued satisfactory academic progress, fulfillment of responsibilities (described below), and financial need. Continuation of the scholarship beyond the initial period will be determined on the basis of student need and available funding.
The broad, long-term objectives for the Scholarship are:
- To recruit students committed to providing culturally informed and competent mental health and/or organizational wellness services to historically underserved groups and marginalized communities
- To increase racial, cultural, and socioeconomic diversity in the college
- To provide financial support to enable students to complete the college program
- Admission to and enrollment in the college
- Full-time matriculation while receiving the scholarship
- Good academic standing
- Demonstration of financial need (applicants must submit FAFSA to the Financial Aid office)
- U.S. legal resident
- Past or on-going U.S. military service
Application form and essay (maximum 500 words) addressing:
- Ways in which the applicant’s unique perspective and background [e.g., military service; religious beliefs; membership in a group historically underrepresented in higher education; raised in a single-parent household; a first-generation college student] contributes or will contribute to the William James College’s student body.
- Challenges faced by the applicant and the steps taken to address these challenges, including strategies employed, assistance solicited from others, setbacks encountered, and lessons learned.
E-mail the completed form, essay and letter of reference to email@example.com. Use a subject line that reads “Military Scholarship - [Applicant's Name].”
- Submit Certificate of Eligibility to our VA Certifying Official at firstname.lastname@example.org
- One letter of recommendation:
- Depicting how well and in what capacity the recommender knows the applicant
- Assessing the applicant’s academic or leadership capacity and potential
- Ranking the applicant in comparison to past and/or most excellent students
A selection committee will be appointed in the fall semester. The committee will include: Department Chairs and the Director of the Military and Veterans Psychology Concentration.
- Maintain good academic standing
- Full participation in activities including:
- Mentoring of other students
- Attendance at William James College health fairs, community events etc.
- Representation at William James College fundraisers (i.e., Gala, etc.)
- Open house participation
- Contact for prospective students
- Conference presentations/poster presentations
The Certificate of Eligibility, application and FAFSA must be submitted before the admissions interview to be considered for the scholarship. The decision should be made by the committee shortly after completion of all admission interviews and before admissions offers are made.
For more information, please contact Dr. Robert Dingman, Director, Military and Veterans Psychology. He can be reached by email at email@example.com.