Become a Training Site for the Counseling Psychology Department
The Office of Field
Education staff is available to work with sites that are interested in
being approved for the training of William James College practicum and intern level
students. William James College training requirements are program specific and will be
provided in Training and Participation documents.
General Requirements for Field Site Approval
In order to be approved as a practicum site, an agency or institution must meet the following criteria:
- It must have integrated programs for the delivery of clinical mental health counseling.
- It must have clearly established
provisions for supervision by appropriately qualified supervisors, one
of whom will be designated as the student’s primary supervisor.
- It must offer trainees opportunities for face-to-face clinical contact with clients. Such contacts exclude telephone
calls, vocational guidance services, academic school guidance services,
industrial or organizational consulting services, teaching, and
- It must be able to provide a training experience of at least 12 hours per week for a minimum of 30 weeks.
- It must be able to provide students with at least 40 total hours of direct client contact over the course of the practicum.
- It must be able to provide students
with 25 total hours of supervision over the course of the practicum. Of
those 25 hours, 10 must be individual, 5 must be group, and the
remainder can be either individual or group. Site supervisors must be
mental health professionals who hold independent licensure in their
profession and have at least 5 years of full-time or the equivalent
part-time postgraduate clinical mental health counseling experience as
delineated in chapter CMR 262 of the Rules and Regulations for Licensure
of Mental Health Counselors / Massachusetts Board of Registration of
Allied Mental Health Professions. Qualified supervisors at the practicum
level will include LMHCs; LICSWs; Psychologists; Psychiatrists; and
LMFTs. Under certain circumstances, other professionals may also be
- Provide an emergency contact onsite. This does
not take the place of the required clinical supervision by an approved
In order to qualify as an internship site,
an agency or institution must meet criteria 1, 2, and 3, above and in
addition, must be able to:
- Provide a training experience of at least 20 hours per week for a minimum of 30 weeks.
- Provide interns with a minimum of 240 hours of direct client contact experience.
- Provide interns with a minimum of 45
hours of supervision over the course of the internship. Of those 25
hours, 15 must be individual, 15 must be group, and the remaining 15 may
be individual or group. Internship supervisors must meet the same
licensure and experience qualifications as practicum supervisors.
- Provide an emergency contact on-site.
This does not take the place of the required clinical supervision by an
Practicum students and interns may see clients only when there is a clinical supervisor or emergency contact on site.