Moving Beyond Stigma
The William James College Forum series convenes thought leaders to address societal issues that affect mental health.
Tuesday, May 23, 2017 | 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
Back Bay Events Center, 180 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA
Conference Director: David B. Herzog, MD, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School; Special Assistant to the President, William James CollegeOne in four Americans will develop a mental health problem or will misuse alcohol or drugs during their lifetime.
- More Americans now die every year from drug overdoses than in motor vehicle crashes. Yet 89 percent of individuals estimated to be in need of treatment for a substance use disorder do not receive services.
- Only 25 percent of people with a psychological condition feel that others are understanding or compassionate about their illness.
- Eight in 10 workers say shame and stigma prevent them from seeking treatment for their mental illness
Prejudicial beliefs and attitudes associated with mental and substance use disorders are significant barriers to care. The forum will cover institutional, public and personal stigma, elucidate the factors that influence negative perceptions of mental and substance use disorders, highlight the impact of stigma, and explore strategies for change. Panel discussions will include: community leaders sharing their personal journeys of stigma; first-responders; and business leaders. The forum will provide ample time for networking and interacting with individuals from various agencies and businesses that address stigma. The expected attendees to this conference include policymakers, academicians, business and community leaders, clinicians, families and first responders.
Program Learning Objectives:
- To shift the conversation about mental and substance use disorders
- To mobilize support for those with substance use disorders and mental illness who are affected by stigma.
6 CE Credits | $100
General Public, Other Professionals, Graduate Students, First Responders: Fire, Police, EMTs, Recovery Coaches | No CE Credits | FREE
Pre-registration is required and includes lunch.