Faculty: Cara Pendergrass, PhD
Cara Pendergrass, PhD
Assistant Professor, Clinical Psychology Department
Faculty, Neuropsychology Concentration
Work Space 314J
|PostDoc||Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (Fellowship in Neuropsychology and Neuroimaging)|
|PhD||Rosalind and Franklin University of Medicine and Science|
|MS||Rosalind and Franklin University of Medicine and Science|
- Neuropsychological Assessment
- Cognitive and Affective Bases of Behavior
- Biological Basis of Learning and Behavior
Research and Practice Interests
- Cognitive function and neuropsychological assessment and intervention
- Neuropsychiatric and neurological disorders
- Technology and impact on cognitive and neuropsychological assessment
- Application of clinical and neuropsychological assessment within clinical research trials
- 2003 - Early Career Investigator Award, College on Problems of Drug Dependence, Inc. (CPDD)
- 2003 - Women and Gender Junior Investigator Travel Award, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- 2002 - Student Research Award in Cognitive Neurosciences, American Psychological Association, Division 40: Clinical Neuropsychology
Publications and Presentations
- Pendergrass, J.C., Targum, S.D., and Harrison, J.E. (2018). Cognitive impairment associated with cancer: A brief review. Innovations in Clinical Science,15(1-2): 36-44.
- Targum, S.D., Pendergrass, J.C., Lee, S, and Loebel, A. (2018). Ratings Surveillance and Reliability in a Study of Major Depressive Disorder with Subthreshold Hypomania (Mixed Features). International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, 27(4)
- Leoutsakos JS, Yan H, Anderson WS, Asaad WF, Baltuch G, Burke A, Chakravarty MM, Drake KE, Foote KD, Fosdick L, Giacobbe P, Mari Z, McAndrews MP, Munro CA, Oh ES, Okun MS, Pendergrass JC, Ponce FA, Rosenberg PB, Sabbagh MN, Salloway S, Tang-Wai DF, Targum SD, Wolk D, Lozano AM, Smith GS, Lyketsos CG. (2018). Deep Brain Stimulation Targeting the Fornix for Mild Alzheimer Dementia (the ADvance trial): A two year follow-up including results of delayed activation. J Alzheimers Dis, 64(2): 597-606. doi: 10.3233/JAD-180121.
- Targum, S.D. Risinger, R., Du, Y., Pendergrass, J.C., Jamal H.H., and Silverman, B.L. (2017). Effect of patient age on treatment response in a study of the acute exacerbation of psychosis in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research, 179: 64-69.
- Targum, S.D., Suppes, T., Pendergrass, J.C., Lee, S., Silva, R., Cucchiaro, J., and Loebel, A. (2016). Major depressive disorder with subthreshold hypomania (mixed features): Clinical characteristics of patients entered in a multiregional placebo-controlled study. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry, 68, 9-14.
- Roth, R.M., Garlinghouse, M., Flashman, L.A., Koven, N.S., Pendergrass, J.C., McAllister, T., and Saykin, A.J. (2016). Apathy is associated with Ventral Striatum Volume in Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder. The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 28(3): 191-194.
- Lozano, A.M., Fosdick, L., Chakravarty, M.M., Leoutsakos, J.M., Munro, C., Oh, E., Drake, K, Lyman, C.H., Rosenberg, P., Anderson, W.S., Tang-Wai, D.F., Pendergrass, JC., Salloway, S., Asaad, W.F., Ponce, F.A., Burke, A., Sabbagh, M., Wolk, D.A., Baltuch, G., Okun, M.S., Foote, K.D., McAndrews, M.P., Giacobbe, P., Targum, S., Lyketsos, C.G. and Smith, G. (2016). A phase II study of fornix deep brain stimulation in mild Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 54(2): 777-787.
- Holroyd, K.B., Fosdick, L., Smith, G., Leoutsakos, J.M., Munro, C., Oh, E., Drake, K, Rosenberg, P., Anderson, W.S., Salloway, S., Pendergrass, JC., Burke, A., Wolk, D.A., Tang-Wai, D.F., Ponce, F.A., Asaad, W.F., Sabbagh, M., Okun, M.S., Baltuch, G., Foote, K.D., Targum, S., Lozano, A.M., and Lyketsos, C.G. (2015). Deep brain stimulation targeting the fornix for mild Alzheimer’s Dementia: Design of the Advance randomized controlled trial. Open Access Journal of Clinical Trials, 7, 63-76.
- Targum, S.D., Pendergrass, J.C., Toner, C., Zumpano, L., Rauh, P. and DeMartinis, N. (2015). Impact of BPRS interview length on ratings precision in a schizophrenia trial. European Neuropsychopharmacology, 25, 312-318.
- Targum, S.D., and Pendergrass, J.C. (2014). Site-independent confirmation of subject selection for CNS trials: “Dual” Review using Audio-Digital Recordings. Annals of General Psychiatry, 13:21.
- Targum, S.D., Pendergrass, J.C., Toner, C., Asgharnedjad, M., and Burch, DJ. (2014). Audio-Digital Recordings used for independent replication of site-based MADRS interview scores. European Neuropsychopharmacology, 24, 1760-1766.
- Lyketsos, C.G., Targum, S.D. Pendergrass, J.C., and Lozano A.M. (2012). Deep Brain Stimulation: A Novel Strategy for Treating Alzheimer’s Disease. Innov Clin Neurosci, 9, 10-17.
- Vice President, Clinical Operations; Clintara LLC; A Bracket Company
- Clinical Neuropsychologist; Veterans Affairs Tennessee Valley Healthcare System
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Neuroimaging Section; Vanderbilt University
- International Neuropsychological Society
- American Psychological Association (Division 40)
- Alzheimer’s Association International Society to Advance Alzheimer’s Research and Treatment (ISTAART)