Claire Fialkov, PhD
617-327-6777 x1290, Work Space 328D
- Professor, Clinical Psychology Department
- Faculty Liaison to Clinical Student ACES
- Supervision and Consultation Faculty Coordinator
- Boston University
- Columbia University
- Clark University
- Introduction to Family Therapy
- Clinical Practice of Family and Systems Theory
- Clinical Seminar I
- Clinical Seminar II
- Clinical Seminar IV: Supervision and Consultation
- Appreciative Inquiry and Qualitative Methods
- Positive Psychology
- Community Trauma and Collective Healing
Research and Practice Interests
- Positive Psychology
- Strength Based Practices
- Global Mental Health and Education
- Curriculum Development
- Program Evaluation
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Government of the District of Columbia (#1000978), issued 7/14/14
- Licensed Psychologist, Health Service Provider, Massachusetts (#4075), issued 11/26/86
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, Massachusetts (#345), issued 11/25/92
- Certified AAMFT Approved Supervisor, continually since 1995
- Certified to teach national credentialing course for Approved Supervisors, since 2000
- Certificate of Advanced Study in Marriage & Family Therapy, The Kantor Family Institute, 1984
- Certified American Red Cross Disaster Mental Health Responder, Mass Bay Chapter, 2002
Publications and Presentations
Fialkov,C., Haddad, D., Ajibose, A., Ndungu, M., Kibuga, R., Gabriel, D., Kariuki, J., LeFlufy, & Burquest, M. (2019) Menstrual Hygiene Management for Girls in Kenya: An Evaluation of the Always School Program. Paper presented at the Women Deliver 2019 Conference, Vancouver, Canada, June 3-6, 2019.
Gowan, M., Fialkov, C., and Haddad, D. (2019) Strength based learning in a Kenyan Primary School Community: An Application of the IPOD model, Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner, Vol. 21, No. 1, February, 2019, dx.doi.org/10.12781/978-1-907549-38-0-7.
Fialkov, C., & Haddad, D. (2018) Menstrual hygiene management for girls in Kenya: An evaluation of The Always School Program. Paper presented at the Forum on Private Sector Participation in Menstrual Hygiene Management in Kenya, Jacaranda Hotel, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya, June 22, 2018.
Fialkov, C., & Haddad, D. (2018, June) Menstrual hygiene management for girls in Kenya: An evaluation of The Always School Program [White paper]. Presented to the Kenya Ministries of Education, Health and Sanitation & Gender.
Fialkov, C., Contreras, P.M., Kliman, J., Haddad, D., Bennasar, M.C., Napoli, M., St. Louis, G., & Bloom, J., (2017) Innovations in Global Mental Health. Symposium lead, New England Psychological Association, Boston, Massachusetts, October 22, 2017.
Gowan, M., & Fialkov C. (2017). Making a case for girls' well-being: The impact of strengths-based learning in a Kenyan primary school. Paper presented at New England Psychological Association (NEPA) Annual Meeting, William James College, Newton, Massachusetts, October, 21, 2017.
Fialkov, C. & Haddad, D. (2017) Kenyan Empowerment and Education Project Cultivating Strengths for Education and Health. Presented at the Kimo Wellness Foundation Conference for Education and Empowerment, Thika, Kenya, February 21, 2017.
Fialkov, C. (2017) Beyond Competency in Supervision: Lifelong Learning and Strength Based Practice. William James College, April 28, 2017.
Fialkov, C., Haddad, D., Ajibose, A., Cournoyer, K., Gowan, M. (2017, January) The Kenya Empowerment and Education Project, Curriculum Version 3©. William James College, Newton, Massachusetts. Approved by Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD) 4/12/17
Fialkov, C. (2016) A Program for Positive Education and Teacher Empowerment: Increasing Resilience and Well Being in Kenyan Youth. A concept paper presented to the Kenyan Ministry of Education, July 1, 2016, Nairobi, Kenya.
Fialkov, C. (2016) Faith as a Way Forward. The Taos Institute Publication: Creating Promising Futures through Social Construction. January 15, 2016.
Fialkov, C., Haddad, D., Ndirangu, N. & Karanja, J. (2015) Tukae Tusemesane – Let’s Sit Down and Reason Together, Enlivening Strengths and Community, International Journal of Appreciative Inquiry, Volume 17 (3), 27-37. dx.doi.org/10.12781/978-1-907549-24-3.
Fialkov, C., Haddad, D., Ndirangu, N., and Karanja, J. (2015) Tukae Tusemesane – Let’s Sit Down and Reason Together, Enlivening Strengths and Community, World Appreciative Inquiry Conference (WAIC), Johannesburg, South Africa, July 8, 2015.
Fialkov, C. (2015) A Dialogue on Healthcare and Community Building. Taos Institute Conference, Santa Fe, New Mexico, May 1, 2015.
Fialkov, C. and Haddad, D. (2014) What East African NGOs Teach Us About Organizational Development, Society for Human Resource Management, February 17, 2014.
Oppenheimer, M.F., Fialkov, C., Ecker, B., & Portnoy, S. (2014) Teaching to Strengths: Character Education for Urban Middle School Students, Journal of Character Education, Volume 10 (2), 91-105.
Fialkov, C. and Haddad, D. (2014) The Strength Landscape Project. Canadian Conference on Positive Psychology, Ottawa, Canada, July 17, 2014
Fialkov, C. and Haddad, D. (2014) Application of Appreciative Inquiry and Reflective Practice to Psychotherapy Supervision. Positive Psychotherapy: Fostering Resilience and Well-Being, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, May 9-10, 2014.
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- Principal Investigator and Project Manager, P&G/ Children's Safe Drinking Water Grant for A Partnership for Safe Water inthe Mara, 2019-2021.
- Consulting Partner at Appreciative Action (www.appreciativeaction.com)
- Founding partner in consulting practice dedicated to strengthen the capacity of organizations and creating a healthier and more prosperous world community. Clients include: non-government organizations (NGOs), international public and private sector humanitarian agencies, educational institutions, and local community-based groups. These organizations are all engaged in the challenge to improve the healthcare and well being of those striving to cope with adversity through hope, action and relationships.
- The Taos Institute, Associate Member, issued 2010
- IPPA, International Positive Psychology Association, Charter Member, issued 2009
- AAMFT, American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, Clinical Member
- AAMFT, American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, Approved Supervisor, Nationally certified to teach AAMFT Approved Supervision Course
- MAMFT, Massachusetts Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, Clinical Member
- Consultant to Justice Resource Institute (JRI) on Cultural Responsiveness initiative
- Trained volunteer for American Red Cross Disaster Relief
- Needham community action and disaster response team volunteer
- Clark University Alumni and speaker volunteer