Craig Murphy, PhD, LEP, NCSP
617-327-6777 x1554, Work Space 208M
- Associate Professor, School Psychology Department
- PhD, MS, School Psychology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park
- BS, The University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Advanced Social-Emotional Assessment (PA 725)
- Behavioral Assessment, Intervention and Consultation (BC 521)
- Doctoral Project I: Orientation (PR 825)
- Research Methods and Program Evaluation (RS 555)
- Social Bases of Behavior (PS 603) Statistics (RS 526)
Research and Practice Interests
- Emotional and Behavioral Challenges in Students
- Comprehensive Assessment Practices
- School-Based Consultation
- Understanding the Role of Social Influence in Schools
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Educational Psychologist (Massachusetts Board of Allied Mental Health)
- Licensed School Psychologist (Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education)
- Nationally Certified School Psychologist (National Association of School Psychologists)
Publications and Presentations
Murphy, C. (2016, October). School refusal: Understanding, connecting, and overcoming. Invited presentation for the Operating Committee at the Bi-County Collaborative, Franklin, MA.
Murphy, C. (2016, October). DSM-5 Overview: Implications for educators. Invited presentation for the Norfolk Public Schools, Norfolk, MA.
Murphy, C. (2016, October). ADHD workshop. Invited presentation for the Norfolk Public Schools, Norfolk, MA.
Murphy, C. (2016, August). Behavioral health in the schools: Issues and strategies. Invited presentation for the Bi-County Collaborative, Franklin, MA.
Murphy, C. (2016, February). Social influence: Implications of social psychology for school psychologists. Presented at the Annual Convention of the National Association of School Psychologists, New Orleans, LA.
Murphy, C. & Cohen, H. (2014, February). Redefining emotional assessment. Presented at the Annual Convention of the National Association of School Psychologists, Washington, DC.
Murphy, C. & Hemphill, E. (2014, February). Behavioral Response-to-Intervention (RtI). Presented at the Annual Convention of the National Association of School Psychologists, Washington, DC.
Murphy, C. (2012, August). Transforming school discipline practices: The collaborative problem solving approach. Presented at the Safe for All Conference, Newton, MA.
Murphy, C. (2012, August). Discussing what matters most to parents – their children. Presented at the Safe for All Conference, Newton, MA.
Murphy, C. (2012, March). Research challenges: Research questions, literature reviews, and research designs. An invited presentation for the Doctoral Project Committee at MSPP for selected faculty members looking to improve their research skills and productivity. MSPP, Boston, MA.
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- Managing Partner, Family and Educational Wellness Center (www.fewcenter.com)
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Project Director, Elementary Counseling Grant, Newton Public Schools
- School Psychologist, Newton Public Schools
- American Psychological Association
- Massachusetts School Psychologists Association
- National Association of School Psychologists
- Coach: Youth sports including soccer, basketball, lacrosse and football.
- Mentor: Volunteer mentor for early career school psychologists.
- Consultation: Offer pro bono professional development and consultation to local special education parent groups and LEAs.
- Clinician: Offer pro bono clinical services to children and families.