Dessalines (Des) Floyd, EdLD
- Adjunct faculty, Organizational & Leadership Psychology
- BA in English, The Florida State University with a concentration in the Sociology of Education
- MEd in Curriculum & Practice, University of Florida with a concentration in Teacher Leadership for School Improvement (TLSI)
- Doctor of Education in Leadership (EdLD), Harvard University with a concentration on Leading for Education Equity and System-Level Improvement
- The Psychology of Racism and Discrimination
Research and Practice Interests
- Education Equity
- System-Level Improvement
- Higher Education
- State Education/Local Education Agencies
- Developing School and District Leaders
- The Science of Learning and Development
- Innovations in Program & Curriculum Design
- Virtual Teaching and Leading
- Competency-Based Education/Leadership
- Teacher Preparation
Publications and Presentations
Write the Vision and Make It Plain: The Case for an Explicit Focus on Equity & Racial Equity to Accelerate Outcomes in Schools (Floyd, 2019)
Contributions made to Integrating the Science of Learning and Development into Teacher Education (Moore et al., 2020)
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- Supports strategic alignment, training, and WJC/T21 DEI programming. Collaborations most often live at the intersection of leadership, equity, and designing systems for accelerated performance and improvement.
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Special Assistant to the Commissioner on Equity with the Center for Instructional Support at the Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education (ESE).
- Director of Clinical Learning and Educator Development at a competency-based graduate school in collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Works with superintendents and principals in school districts across the State of MA to design and implement equity leadership practices that lead to higher outcomes and opportunities for students.
- Chair of the Academic Excellence Committee at the Helen Y. Davis Leadership Academy, voted #1 middle school in Boston for culturally-based education.
- Member of the Boston (MA) Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated.