Edward De Vos, EdD
- Associate Vice President for Research
- Chairman, Institutional Review Board
- Associate Professor, Clinical Psychology
- EdD, Human Development (Measurement and Evaluation), Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- SB, Humanities and Sciences (Physics and Anthropology), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA
- Statistics (RS526)
Research and Practice Interests
- Violence & Injury Prevention (Child Maltreatment, Intimate Partner Violence, Youth-on-Youth Violence)
- Program Development and Evaluation
- Quantitative, Qualitative, and Mixed Methods Research
- Ethics and Regulatory Compliance
- Clinical Outcome Research
- Systems Change
Publications and Presentations
De Vos, E. A framework for developing and evaluating health and mental health interventions. Journal of Pediatrics & Neonatal Care. 5(5), April 2017. [medcraveonline.com/JPNC/JPNC-06-00260.pdf]
Sege R., Preer G., Morton S.J., Cabral H., Morakinyo O., Lee V., Abreau C., De Vos E., Kaplan-Sanoff M. Medical-legal strategies to improve infant health care: A randomized trial. Pediatrics. 136(1), May 2015.
Sege R., Kaplan-Sanoff M., Morton S., Velasco-Hodgson M.C., Preer G., Morakinyo G., De Vos E., Krathen J. Project DULCE: Strengthening families through enhanced primary care. The Journal of Zero to Three. Vol 35(1):10-18, September 2014. [http://www.bmc.org/Project-DULCE.htm]
Lawrence, R., Fu, C.-M., Sandel, M., & De Vos, E. Evaluating Medical-Legal Partnership: Approaches and Challenges. In ET Tyler, E Lawton, K Conroy, M Sandel, B Zuckerman (Eds.), Poverty, Health, and Law: Readings and Cases for Medical-Legal Partnership. Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2011.
Sices L., Shapiro N., Augustyn M., De Vos E. Communicating with parents about developmental screening in primary care. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics. 31 (ABSTRACTS):E4, September 2010.
Sege R.D., De Vos, E. Evidence-Based Health Care for Children: What Are We Missing? The Commonwealth Fund, Issue Brief, Commonwealth Fund pub. #1395, Vol. 85:1-14, April 2010.
De Vos, E., Article review for The Quarterly Update: Reviews of Current Child Abuse Medical Research. 2009. Article reviewed: Childhood family violence and perpetration and victimization of intimate partner violence: Findings from a national population-based study of couples. McKinney, C.M., Caetano, R., Ramisetty-Mikler, S. which appeared in Annals of Epidemiology, 2009, 19:25-32.
Sege R.D., De Vos, E. Care for Children and Evidence-based Medicine. Pediatric Annals. 37(3):168-172, 2008.
The Role of Legal Care in Bolstering Patient-Family Access to “Concrete Supports.” (Panel) De Vos, E. Medical-Legal Partnership: A Key Component of Accountable Care (4th Annual Massachusetts Medical-Legal Partnership Conference), The Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Boston, MA, October 28, 2013.
Social-Environmental Determinants and Medical Pathways: A Framework for Developing and Evaluating Health and Mental Health Interventions. De Vos, E. Evaluation 2013: Evaluation Practice in the Early 21st Century (AEA Annual Conference), Washington, DC, October 19, 2013.
Moving Beyond Parallel Play: A Model for Collaborative Piggyback Interventions. De Vos, E. Mental Health Matters: Disparities in Mental Health Care (Annual Conference), Boston, MA, June 2, 2012.
Communicating with Parents About Developmental Screening: Strategies for Implementation. Sices, L., De Vos, E., Siegel, B. Society for Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics (Annual Meeting), Pre-meeting Workshop, Boston, MA, September 11, 2010.
Dulce Family Partners: Developmental Understanding & Legal Collaboration for Everyone. Sege, R.D., De Vos, E., & Velasco Hodgson, M.C. Early Childhood 2010 (CBCAP & QIC-EC National Conference), Washington, DC, August 4, 2010.
Lessons Learned in MLP Evaluation: IRB, Recruitment and Measuring Outcomes. De Vos, E. & Hansen, M. Medical-Legal Partnership Patients to Policy (National Conference), Arlington, VA, March 26, 2010.
Lessons Learned in MLP Evaluation: Results of the 2009 National Site Survey. De Vos, E. Medical-Legal Partnership Patients to Policy (National Conference), Arlington, VA, March 26, 2010.
Social-Environmental Determinants and Medical Pathways: A Framework for Developing and Evaluating Health Interventions. De Vos, E. Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics Literature Seminar, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA, March 2010.
The Future of Recommendations for Childhood Obesity Prevention and Intervention. De Vos, E., Schlesinger, M.R., Libman, L. & Sege, R.D. The Obesity Society’s Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington, DC, October 2009.
Are Systematic Reviews Systematically Biased? Sege, R.D., Schlesinger, M.R. & De Vos, E. Pediatric Academic Societies’ Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 2009.
Expert Recommendations on Communicating about Developmental Screening in Primary Care. Sices, L., De Vos, E., Shapiro, N. & Augustyn, M. Pediatric Academic Societies’ Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, May 2009.
Evaluating Community-based Health Programs. De Vos, E. Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics Literature Seminar, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA, April 2009.
Evaluating the Impact of Training on Front Line Healthcare Staff. De Vos, E. Medical-Legal Partnership: Transforming Healthcare Through Preventive Law (National Summit), Cleveland, OH, March 26, 2009.
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
Editorial Boards/Grant Reviews:
- Reviewer & Mentor: African Evaluation Journal
- Reviewer: Amer J of Prev Med
- Reviewer: Amer J of Pub Hlth
- Reviewer: Arch of Peds & Adol Med
- Reviewer: Human Dev
- Reviewer: IRB: Ethics & Human Res
- Reviewer: National Science Foundation (grant review)
- Reviewer : Off of Ch Ab & Neg, HHS (grant review)
- Reviewer : Off of Juv Just & Delinq Prev, OJP (grant review)
- Reviewer: Professional Psychology: Research & Practice
- Reviewer : Preventing Chronic Disease
- Reviewer: Social Science & Medicine
- Reviewer: The Quarterly Update (child abuse medical research)
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Boston University School of Medicine / Boston Medical Center (Boston, MA); Associate Professor (Pediatrics); Senior Research Scientist (Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics); Director, Pediatric Program Evaluation and Development Group.
- Tufts University School of Medicine (Boston, MA); Associate Professor (Pediatrics-primary, Public Health & Family Medicine-secondary); Special & Scientific (Pediatrics); Director, Pediatric & Adolescent Health Research Center (PAHRC); Director of Research, Division of General Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine.
- Children’s Hospital / Harvard University Medical School (Boston, MA); Lecturer (Pediatrics); Research Director, Family Violence Project, Department of Medicine.
- University of Massachusetts (Boston, MA); Instructor (Boston Higher Education Program).
- Education Development Center (Newton, MA); Senior Scientist – Health & Human Development Programs; Director, Center for Violence & Injury Prevention.
- State of Massachusetts (Boston, MA); Director of Research & Evaluation, Executive Office of Human Services.
- Tufts University School of Medicine (Boston, MA); Lecturer (Community Health).
- Harvard University (Cambridge, MA); Teaching Fellow (Kennedy School of Government; Human Development, Graduate School of Education).
- Massachusetts Mental Health Center / Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA); Research Staff (Laboratory of Social Psychiatry).
- Maimonides Hospital (Brooklyn, NY); Research Staff (Hematology).
- American Evaluation Association
- American Psychological Association
- American Public Health Association
- American Statistical Association
Courses Taught at Other Institutions
- Evaluation of Health Programs (graduate level/ Tufts University School of Medicine – Public Health)
- Articulation of Education and Human Service Systems (graduate level/ University of Massachusetts – Boston)
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics (graduate level/ Tufts University School of Medicine)
- Introduction to Path Analysis (graduate level/ Institut für Sozialmedizin und Epidemiologie, Bundesgesundheitsamt – Berlin, Germany)
- Introduction to Educational Research (graduate level/ Harvard University Graduate School of Education)
- Policy Applications of Basic Statistics and Data Analysis (graduate level/ Harvard University Kennedy School of Government)
- Quantitative Methods for Evaluating the Effectiveness of Social Programs (graduate level/ Harvard University Kennedy School of Government & Graduate Schools of Education)
- Evaluating School Effectiveness (graduate level/ Harvard University Graduate School of Education)
- Intermediate Statistics (graduate level/ Harvard University Graduate School of Education)
- Introductory Statistics (graduate level/ Harvard University Graduate School of Education)