Erlene Rosowsky, PsyD, FGSA
- Director, Geropsychology Concentration
- Director, Center for Mental Health and Aging Professor
- BA, Boston University
- EdM, Boston University
- CAGS, Boston University
- PsyD, Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
- Clinical Seminar I (CS 600)
- Geropsychology (GE 500)
- Selected Topics in Clinical Geropsychology (GE 520)
Research and Practice Interests
- Personality Disorders in Older Adults
- Resilience in Old Age
- Global Mental Health/Aging
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist (Massachusetts)
- National Register of Health Service Psychologists
- Fulbright Specialist Award, Global Mental Health (2011) Institute of International Education, College of International Exchange of Scholars The Netherlands; Belgium
- Fulbright Specialist Award, Global Mental Health (2012) Institute of International Education, College of International Exchange of Scholars The Netherlands
- Fulbright Specialist Award, Global Mental Health (2017) Institute of International Education, College of International Exchange of Scholars
- ASA Award, for outstanding contribution to the field of aging, American Society on Aging
- Fellow award, for outstanding and continuing contribution to the advancement of gerontology Gerontological Society of America
- Florence Mintz Alumnae Award, outstanding contribution to the profession of psychology Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
Publications and Presentations
Rosowsky, E., & Achenbaum, A., eds. Summer of love: 50 years after Woodstock. Generations (expected July 2017).
Morris, S., Schaefer, K., & Rosowsky, E. (in review). Primary care and the elderly bereaved: Current practices and recommendations for medical education.
Rosowsky, E., Young, A.S., Malloy, M.C., van Alphen, S.P.J., & Ellison, J.M.(2016). A cross-validation Delphi method approach to the diagnosis and treatment of personality disorders in older adults. Aging and Mental Health (in press).
Weusten,L.H.,Sobczak,S.,Rosowsky,E.,Heijnen-Kohl,E.L.,& van Alphen,S.P.J. (2016). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and co-morbidity in old age. Journal of Gerontology & Geriatric Research. S5: 006. doi:10.4172/2167-7182.S5-006.
Videler, A., van der Feltz-Cornelis, C.M., Rossi, G.M.P., van Royen, R.J.J., Rosowsky, E., & van Alphen, S.P.J. (2015). Psychotherapeutic treatment levels of personality disorders in older adults. Clinical Gerontologist, 38(4), 325-341.
Rosowsky, E., & Molinari, V. (2014). Personality disorders in later life. Generations, 38(3), 37-44.
Debast, I., van Alphen, B.S.P.J., Rossi, G.M.P., Tummers, J., Bolwek, N., Derksen, J.J.L., & Rosowsky, E. (2014). Personality traits and personality disorders in late middle and old age: Do they remain stable? A literature review. Clinical Gerontologist, 37(3), 253-271.
Van Alphen, S.P.J., Rossi, G., Segal, D.L., & Rosowsky, E. (2013). Guest editorial. Issues regarding the proposed DSM-5 personality disorders in geriatric psychology and psychiatry. International Psychogeriatrics, 25(1), 1-5.
Rosowsky, E. “Resilience and personality disorders: Clinical implications.” The Handbook of Resilience in Aging. Ed. B. Resnick, K. Roberto, and L. Gwyther. New York: Springer Publishing Company, 2011.
Recent Presentations (sample)
Mentoring in geropsychology [symposium] “The role of mentoring in attracting doctoral students to work with underserved populations”]. Mid-Winter Conference, National Council of Schools and Programs in Professional Psychology, Atlanta, GA, 2016.
The relationship of masculinity-femininity, internalized homonegativity, and visibility management [poster]. Annual Meeting, American Psychological Association, Toronto, Canada, 2015.
Challenging behaviors in the nursing home setting. American Society on Aging, Chicago, IL, 2013.
Resilience and personality disorder in old age. International Psychogeriatric Association Congress, The Hague, The Netherlands, 2011.
Marital satisfaction and personality traits in long-term marriages. 119th Annual Meeting, American Psychological Association, Washington, DC, 2011.
Challenges of countertransference and older adults. Annual Conference, National Council on Aging and American Society on Aging, Chicago, IL, 2010.
Harvard Medical School: Together still: Psychotherapy with the long married in older age, Cambridge Series
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs (COPGTP): Member, National Executive workgroup to design specialty training model for clinicians to update skills.
- Member, Geropsychology Core Competencies Work Group, COPGTP
- Chair, Mentoring Committee, Psychologists in Long Term Care
- Teaching Associate, Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Research Associate in Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Research Fellow, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Mental Health Center
- President, Needham Psychotherapy Associates, LLC. 23-member multidisciplinary practice
- Representative, Pike’s Peak Conference, Geropsychology Training Council
- Board of Trustees, North Hill Continuing Care and Retirement Community
- Chair, Speakers Bureau, Professional Grand Rounds and Community Presentations, Education Program
- Consult-Liaison Services, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham
- Assistant Clinical Professor in Psychology, Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry
- Member, International Society for the Study of Personality Disorders
- Fellow, Gerontological Association of America
- Member, International College of Psychoneuropharmacology
- Affiliate, American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry
- Member, Massachusetts Gerontology Association
- Member, International Psychogeriatric Association
- Member, American Society on Aging
- Member, Psychologists in Long Term Care
- Member, American Psychological Association
- Member, Massachusetts Psychological Association