Jessica Greenwald O'Brien, PhD
- Director, Center of Excellence for Children, Families and the Law
- Director, Child and Family Evaluation Service
- 2nd Member on several Doctoral Project Committees
- AB with Honors and High Distinction, University of Michigan, 1987
- MA in Clinical/Community Psychology, Law & Psychology Program, University of Nebraska - Lincoln, 1989
- PhD in Clinical/Community Psychology, Law & Psychology Program, University of Nebraska - Lincoln, 1993
Research and Practice Interests
- High conflict parenting and Child Custody cases
- Pediatric forensic evaluations in juvenile justice and child welfare contexts
- Intimate partner violence/domestic violence
- Trauma and delinquency
- Impacts of trauma on learning
- Creating school environments conducive to learning for children with trauma
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Massachusetts, Health Services Provider
- Certified Juvenile Court Clinician Mentor, I & II, Department of Mental Health
Publications and Presentations
Greenwald O’Brien, J.P., Tye, D., Federico, P., Soilson, J., and Friend, S. (November 2018). Expert Witness Panel and Demonstration. Presented for the In the Best Interest of the Child Series, 26th Annual Massachusetts Association of Guardians ad Litem Conference. The PC and GAL in Court: Coping with Testimony in Deposition and Trial. Waltham, MA.
Greenwald O’Brien, J.P. (October 2018) Assessing child sexual abuse allegations in the face of limited information. Presented for the Judicial Institute’s Probate and Family Court Conference. Worcester, MA.
Storrow, D., & Greenwald O’Brien, J.P. (July, November 2018, March, May 2019). Collaborating with your Expert. Presented as part of a two-day Children and Family Law/Committee for Public Counsel Services training on Working with Expert Witnesses. Worcester, MA.
Greenwald O’Brien, J.P. (January 2017). The Integrative Process: Psychological Assessment and Forensic Report Writing. Presented for the Connecticut Psychological Association. New Haven, CT.
Greenwald O’Brien, J.P. (2013-2017) Interviewing Parties and Children in GAL Cases; Assessment of Intimate Partner Violence in GAL Cases. Presented for the Administrative Office of Probate and Family Court’s Annual Mandatory Category E&F Trainings. Boston, MA.
Greenwald O’Brien, J.P. (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) Basics in Assessment and Response to Emergent Sexual & Intimate Partner Violence in Adolescence & Using a Trauma Lens for Evaluations in the Juvenile Court. Presented for the DFMH Certified Juvenile Court Clinician specialty training. Westborough, MA.
Hon., Blitzman, J., Berry J., Foss, A., Greenwald O’Brien, J.P., Kaban, B., (October, 2014). Plenary Session: The School to Prison Pipeline. Presented for the 15th Annual Juvenile Delinquency & Child Welfare Law Conference. Boston, MA.
Greenwald O’Brien, J.P. (September 2014). Addressing Trauma in the School Settings. Presented for City Connects Veteran Teachers’ training. Boston, MA
Tishelman, A., Haney, M., Greenwald O’Brien, J.P., & Blaustein, M. (December 2010). A framework for school-based psychological evaluations: Utilizing a ‘Trauma Lens.’ Journal of Child and Adolescent Trauma.
Greenwald O’Brien, J.P. & Burnett, L., (Editors) (January 2010). Teachers’ Strategies Guide for Working with Children Exposed to Trauma, Edition 3.5. Framingham, MA: Framingham Public Schools. (1st, 2nd and 3rd Editions in 2007 & 2008).
Greenwald O’Brien, J. P. (September 2006). Clinical issues in state intervention cases. In Amy Karp (Ed.), Child Welfare Practice in Massachusetts. Boston, MA: Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education.
Cole, S.F., Greenwald O’Brien, J.P., Gadd, M.G., Ristuccia, J., Wallace, D.L., Gregory, M. (2005). Helping Traumatized Children Learn: Supportive School Environments for Children Traumatized by Family Violence. Boston, MA: Massachusetts Advocates for Children.
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- Division of Forensic Mental Health: Certified Juvenile Court Clinician Committee
- Massachusetts Chapter - Association of Family and Conciliation Courts - Conference Committee
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Private forensic, clinical and consulting practice, 1995-present
- Massachusetts Chapter of Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Board of Directors, (April 2010 – 2016)
- Executive Committee: Secretary (April 2015-2016)
- American Psychological Association, Divisions 41 & 37
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Massachusetts Association of Guardians ad Litem
- Town of Natick - Medical Reserve Corps volunteer
- Natick High School, School Council Member