Katherine King, PsyD
617-327-6777 x1013, Work Space 314I
- Assistant Professor of Psychology, Clinical Psychology Department
- Concentration Director, Geropsychology
- Faculty, Health Psychology Concentration
- Director, Alliance for Aging
- Faculty Advisor, Student Mindfulness Group
- Faculty Advisor, Gero Volunteer Corps
- PsyD, William James College
- MA, William James College
- BA, Bennington College, Buddhist Studies Kathmandu Nepal (Semester Abroad), Naropa University
- CLI PS801 - Ethics, Standards, and Professional Practice
- CLI CS606 & 607 - Introduction to Clinical Practice
- CLI CS700 & 705 - Clinical Seminar II
- CLI GE500 - Geropsychology
- CLI GE520 - Special Topics in Geropsychology
- CLI GE550 - End of Life Interventions
- CLI BX701 - Adult CBT Theory and Practice
Research and Practice Interests
- Geropsychology Training & Workforce Development
- Psychotherapy at End of Life, Medical Aid in Dying, Suicide
- Minority and Global Aging
- Ethical and Moral Development of Clinicians
- Cognitive-Behavioral, Third Wave, Narrative, & Existential Psychotherapy
- Creativity, Creative Writing, and the Arts in reminiscence and other interventions
- Meditation and Mindfulness
- Narrative Medicine in Veterans’ Health Care and Professional Psychology
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Massachusetts (#9599)
- William James College One Year Faculty Award
Publications and Presentations
King, K.D. (2018). Bringing Creative Writing Instruction into Reminiscence Group Treatment. Clinical Gerontologist 41(5), pp 438-444.
King, K.D., Gosian, J., Doherty, K., Walsh, C., Pokaski Azar, J., Danhauer, S., & Moye, J. (2014). Implementing Yoga Therapy Adapted for Older Veterans who are Cancer Survivors. International Journal of Yoga Therapy, 24, pp 87-96.
Rosowsky, E., King, K.D., Coolidge, F., Rhoades, C., & Segal, D. (2012). Marital Satisfaction and Personality Traits in Long-Term Marriages: An Exploratory Study. Clinical Gerontologist, 35, (2), pp 77-87.
Poster Presentations at Professional Meetings
(Italicized names are mentored students)
Sager, Z, Nathan, S, King, KD, Topor, D, Doherty, K, & Moye, J. (2020, November). Traumatic Disclosures in Medical Storytelling: A Thematic Analysis of My Life My Story. Poster presented at the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies 36th Annual Meeting, Virtual.
King, KD, Graham, KL, Reid, B, Church, M, & Rosario, JE. The Hidden Cost of Age Oppression: Adultism, Ageism, and Interest in Serving Older Adults. (2020, November). In KD King (Chair), Geropsychology Training Innovations: Understanding Ageism and Adultism in Students and New Training Initiatives. Symposium presented at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Virtual.
Church, M., Rosario, JE, Reid, BM, Sibley, MG, & King, K.D. (2020, October). Discomfort with Death among Psychology Graduate Students: Correlations with Age, Age Oppression, Caregiving, and Loss. Poster presented at the New England Psychological Association Annual Meeting, Virtual.
Reid, BM, Burrows, E, Bryner, B, Graham, K, & King KD. (2019, August). What Doctoral Students Want to Learn About Aging. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Virtual.
King, KD, Jolson, M, & Rosowsky, E. (2019, November). Developing Interest in Geropsychology Through Intergenerational Experience. In KD King (Chair), Turning the Tide – Promising Initiatives in Geropsychology Training and Recruitment. Symposium at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Austin, TX.
King K.D. (2018, November). Why don’t you want to work with older adults? Comparing students with and without an interest in geropsychology. Poster presented at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Boston, MA.
King K.D., Gosian J, Doherty K, Walsh C, Pokaski-Azar J, Chapman J, Danhauer SC, & Moye J. (2013, June). Implementing Yoga therapy adapted for older veterans who are cancer survivors. Poster presented at the International Association of Yoga Therapists Symposium on Yoga Therapy and Research, Boston, MA.
Doherty K, Moye J, Walsh C, Pokaski-Azar J, Gosian J, Chapman J, King K, Sohl S, & Danhauer S. (2013, June). Yoga improves distress, fatigue, and insomnia in older veteran cancer survivors: Results of a pilot study. Poster presented at the International Association of Yoga Research Symposium, Boston, MA.
June A, Mulligan E, Moye J, Gosian, J, Herman, John AL, & King K.D. (2012, August). Pain in military Veterans after cancer treatment: Intensity and impact. Poster presented at the 120th Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Orlando, FL.
Mulligan E, Schwartzenburg M, Naik AD, Gosian J, Herman L, Jahn AL, June A, King K & Moye J. (2012, August). Social relationships among military Veterans with oral-digestive cancers: Risk and protective factors. Poster presented at the 120th Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Orlando, FL.
Moye J, King K, Sohl S, Walsh C, Pokaski-Azar J, Chapman J, Doherty K, & Danhauer S. Developing a cancer survivor yoga program for older male veterans. (2012, June). Poster presented at the 6th Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference, Arlington, VA.
Doherty K, King K, & Moye J. (2012). Developing a cancer survivor yoga program for older veterans. (2012, May)Poster presented at VA Research Week, Boston, MA.
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- Owner and Clinical Psychologist, Dearborn Wellness, LLC (Independent Clinical Practice) (2016 - Present)
- Co-Host, Noble Mind Podcast (2019-Present)
- Trainee, Narrative Medicine, Columbia University School of Professional Studies (2019-Present)
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Clinical Supervisor, VA Boston Healthcare (2016-2017), Pembroke Hospital (2015-2016), William James College (2012-2015)
- Clinical Psychologist, Integrated Behavioral Associates, 2012- 2016
- Senior Instructor, Cambridge College, 2011-2019
- CAGS & Geriatric Mental Health Program Chair, Cambridge College, 2012-2015
- Board Member, Graduate Programs Member-at-Large, Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs (2021-Present)
- CoPGTP Representative to Council of Chairs of Training Programs (2021-Present
- Board Member, Massachusetts Gerontology Association (2019-Present)
- Newsletter Editor, Psychologists in Long-Term Care (2019-Present)
- Invited Panelist. Mental Health Panel Discussion sponsored by Dedham Human Rights Commission and Dedham Public Library. (March 2020)
- Invited Panelist. Annual Conference, Massachusetts Gerontological Association. (April 2019)
- Invited Lecture: Healthy Relationships. Guest Speaker for the Hingham Council on Aging "Aging Mastery" Series. Presented to area community members, June 2016 & 2017.