Kathy Dardeck, EdD
- Adjunct Faculty
- Doctor of Education (EdD) in Counseling Psychology, University of Massachusetts (Amherst)
- Master of Education (MEd) in Psycholinguistics and Reading,University of Massachusetts (Amherst)
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Elementary Education, Boston University
- Introduction to Family Systems and Family Therapy (FMT 325)
- Introduction to Family Therapy (FX510-M1)
Research and Practice Interests
- Clinical Supervision
- Traumatic Stress in Emergency Medical Service Providers
- Mitigation of Traumatic Stress in General Populations
- Disaster Mental Health
- Health Promotion for Marginalized Populations
- Machine Learning (Artificial Intelligence) Applied to Mental Health Diagnosis
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Certified Health Services Provider (Massachusetts)
- International Critical Incident Stress Foundation Approved Trained Trainer in School Crisis Response
- Ezra Saul Psychological Service Award (2013) for outstanding contributions to the enhancement and acceptance of psychological services and programs in Massachusetts; Massachusetts Psychological Association.
- Presidential Citaiton (2001) for contribution in facilitating and providing disaster response services in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center (Ground Zero); American Psychological Association.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Award of Appreciation (2001) for providing requested rapid assessments for emergency services at the World Trade Center in New York City subsequent to the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the United States.
- Presidential Citation (2000) for work on National Advisory Committee to the Disaster Response Network; American Psychological Association.
- Eaton E. Freeman Award (2000) for outstanding contribution to Western Massachusetts Emergency Medical Services Critical Incident Stress Management Team; Western Massachusetts EMS.
Publications and Presentations
Stephenson-Hunter, C. and Dardeck, K. (2019). Locus of Control and Health Promotion for Marginalized Populations. Journal of Social, Behavioral, and Health Services, (Volume 13, Issue 1, pp. 115127). DOI:10.5590/JSBHS.2019.13.1.07
Mor, N. and Dardeck, K. (2018). Quantitative Forecasting of Risk for PTSD Using Ecological Factors: A Deep Learning Application. Journal of Social, Behavioral and Health Sciences, (Volume 12, Issue 1, pp.61-73). DOI:10.5590/JSBHS.2018.12.1.04
Mor, N. and Dardeck, K. (2017). Mitigation of Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms From Chronic Terror Attacks on Southern Israel. Journal of Social, Behavioral and Health Sciences, (Volume 11, Issue 1, pp. 47-64). DOI:10.5590/JSBHS.2017.11.1.03
Dardeck, K. (2003). Living with Chronic Uncertainty in a Post-9/11 World. Massachusetts Psychological Association Quarterly, (Vol. 47, Number 1).
Dardeck, K. (2001). Reflections from Ground Zero. Massachusetts Psychological Association Quarterly, (Vol. 45, Number 3).
Matthews, W. and Dardeck, K. (1985). Construction of Metaphor in the Counseling Process. American Mental Health Counselors Association Journal, (Vol. 7, pp. 11-23).
Hendricks-Noble, F. and Dardeck, K. (2013, July). Redesigning the Case Study for Use in Graduate Level Blended Courses. Presentation at the 10th Annual Sloan Consortium Blended Learning Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Dardeck, K. (October, 2012). Psychological First Aid as Evidence-Informed Intervention in Disaster Mental Health Response. Presentation at the Massachusetts Psychological Association Annual Conference. Norwood, Ma.
Dardeck, K. Chair, Staub, E., Dass-Brailsford, P. (August, 2011). International and Domestic Disaster Mental Health Response to Effect Positive Social Change. Symposium presentation at the American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Washington, D.C.
Dardeck, K, Tishelman, A. (November, 2010). Regional Disaster Response Networks: Description, Purpose, Significance and Current Initiatives. International Society of Traumatic Stress Studies Conference. Montreal.
Dardeck, K. (June, 2010). Disaster Mental Health Response Skills Workshop. Massachusetts Psychological Association 6 CE Presentation. Boston, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (December, 2005). Introduction to Disaster Mental Health. Massachusetts Psychological Assocation 6 CE Presentation. Boston, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (November, 2002). Wellness, Resolve and Healing: The Role of Mental Health in Disaster Preparedness and Response. Invited address at the Northeast Regional Emergency Management Conference presented by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Worcester, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (November, 2002). Trauma and Disaster Response with Children. Invited talk as part of the International Violence Series, Child Protective Team, Children's Hospital, Boston, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (November, 2001). Invited address on September 11, 2001 in Perspective: How Trauma, Loss and Posttraumatic Stress Affects Individuals and Communities. Critical Issues Forum, Asnuntuck Community College, Enfield, Ct.
Dardeck, K. (June, 2001). Responding to Disasters: The Role of Psychologists. Massachusetts Psychological Association 6 CE Presentation, Wellesley, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (May, 1999). Children and Disaster Mental Health. Invited CEU Presentation to Massachusetts Department of Mental Health Workers, Northampton, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (April 1997). Disaster Response Roles in Psychology. Invited Lecture, Springfield College, Springfield, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (October, 1993). Medical Ethics and Decision Making. Invited panel presentation at the Medical Ethics and Journalism Conference co-sponsored by the University of Massachusetts and Kaiser Permanente, Amherst, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (October, 1992). Developing Brief Therapy Treatment Plans. Invited presentation to mental health staff of Gandara Counseling Center, Springfield, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (April, 1987). Adult Children of Alcoholics. Keynote speaker of a conference for faculty and deans at Amherst College, Amherst, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (November, 1986). Women and Stepparenting. Invited presentation at Providence Hospital's Women's Health Forum, Holyoke, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (October, 1986). Invited talk on Preventing Adolescent Depression and Suicide: A Community Mental Health Presentation, Northampton, YMCA.
Dardeck, K. (May, 1986). Invited Presentation on Stress Management to staff at Brightside Children's Center, West Springfield, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (May, 1986). Radio talk show on stepparenting. WREB-Holyoke, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (March, 1986). Women and Stepfamilies. Presentation at International Women's Day Celebration sponsored by the YWCA and The Elms College, Chicopee, Ma.
Dardeck, K. (May, 1985). Therapeutic Metaphor. Presentation at the Family Therapy Conference sponsored by the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Ma.
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- Private practice - Hanover, MA
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Core Clinical Doctoral Faculty, School of Psychology, Walden University, Minneapolis, MN
- Editorial Board Reviewer for Walden University online Journal published in Scholarworks
- National Advisory Committee Member of APA Disaster Response Network Committee
- Disaster Preparation and Response Psychological Consultant
- Adjunct Faculty, Graduate School of Psychology, Lesley University, Cambridge, MA
- Chair and Co-Chair of Disaster Response Network (Massachusetts Psychological Association)
- Member, Governor's Committee on Disaster Mental Health Services, Ma Exec Office of Health & Human Services
- Board of Directors, Massachusetts Psychologial Association
- Senior Psychologist Valley Medical Group, Northampton, MA
- Psychologist member, Medical Ethics Committee, Northeast Permanente Medical Group
- Clinical Director, Western Ma. Emergency Services Critical Incident Stress Management Team
- Psychological Consultant to Fire Department of New York City subsequent to September 11 terror attacks
- Psychological Consultant to 7 Catholic Elementary Schools, Chicopee, MA
- Adjunct Professor of Psychology, Clinlcal Nursing Program, Greenfield Community College, Greenfield, MA
- Adjunct Professor of Psychology Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA
- Assistant Dean of Students and Assistant Director of Career Counseling, Amherst College
- Eastern Massachusetts Internship Program Coordinator, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Massachusetts Psychological Association, Fellow
- American Psychological Association, Life Member
- Trauma division (56) of American Psychological Association
- Counseling division (17) of American Psychological Association
- Psychology Beyond Borders - member
- American Red Cross - psychologist volunteer