Stanley J. Berman, PhD
617-327-6777 x1218, Work Space 510
- Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Psychology
- PhD, Department of Clinical Psychology, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- MA, Department of Clinical Psychology, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- MEd, Department of Psychoeducational Processes, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- BA, University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y., Philosophy, History and Secondary Education
- Clinical Seminar II
- Foundations of Clinical Health Psychology
- Applications in Clinical Health Psychology
- Advanced Topics in Clinical Health Psychology
- Fundamentals of Global Mental Health II
- Psychopathology and Review of DSM Diagnoses
Research and Practice Interests
- Health Psychology
- Pediatric Health Psychology
- Global Mental Health and Refugee Trauma
- Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy
- Higher Education Administration
- Norbett I. Mintz Chair in Professional Psychology, William James College. (2012-2014)
Publications and Presentations
Berman, S. (2019) Forward in Macklem, G. and Silva, A., (Eds). Lessons from school psychology: practical strategies and evidence-based practice for professionals and parents. New York: Routledge.
Jackson, W., Zale, E.L., Berman, S.J., Malacarne, A., Lapidow, A., Schatman, M.E., Kulich, R. and Vranceanu, A.M. (January 3, 2019) Physical functioning and mindfulness skills training in chronic pain: a systematic review. vol. 2019, 179-189.
McGrath, R.E., Berman, S., LeVine, E., Mantell, E., Rom-Rymer, B., Sammons,M., & Stock, W., (2011) Guidelines for collaborative and independent practice in pharmacotherapy. American Psychologist, 66, 9, 835-849.
Farkas, A.F., Berman, S., Hirsch, D., Breyer, J., Astbury, J., Kluner, K.J., Hewitt, K., Shanahan, J., & Woodburn, S. (1991) Psychosocial effects of transfusion-related HIV infection in pediatric cancer patients. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 8, 4, 41-58.
Dym, B., Berman, S., (1986) The primary health care team: family physician and family therapist in joint practice. Family Systems Medicine, 4, 1, 9-21.
Koocher, G., Berman, S., (1983) Life threatening and terminal illness in childhood in Levine, M., Carey, W.C., Crocker, A.C., & Gross, R.T., Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company.
Berman, S., (November 2016). Careers in mental health. Brown University, Providence, R.I.
Berman, S. (September 2016). Benefit finding and post traumatic growth following brain aneurysm. Department of Vascular Neurosurgery, Beth Israel-Deaconess Hospital, Harvard Medical
School, Boston, MA.
Berman, S. ( December 2015) Creating meaning and purpose following brain aneurysm, Department of Vascular Neurosurgery, Beth Israel-Deaconess Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
Berman, S. ( November 2015) Executive functioning, Vygotsky and tools of the mind. Sudbury Public Schools, Sudbury, MA.
Berman, S. (September 2014) Training in the integration of mental health and primary care. Codman Square Health Center and Boston University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Conference on The integration of mental health and primary care in community settings. Boston, MA.
Berman, S. (April 2014) Primary prevention of internalizing behavior disorders in schools. Sudbury Public School, Sudbury, MA.
Berman, S. (October 2012) Close encounter: a health psychologist reports from the hospital bed. Invited Address: The Norbett I. Mintz Chair in Professional Psychology lecture. William James College, Newton, MA
Berman, S. (August 2008) Chair and Moderator (and Division 55 APA Program Co-coordinator), Psychotherapy and psychopharmacology with children and adolescents: what’s the evidence? American Psychological Association National Convention, Boston, MA.
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Dean, Programs of Advanced Graduate Study, William James College
- Director, Concentration in Clinical Health Psychology at William James College
- Director, M.S. in Clinical Psychopharmacology at William James College
- Faculty, Department of Clinical Psychology at William James College
- Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, Wellesley College
- Visiting Faculty, Harvard Program in Refugee Trauma, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Adjunct Faculty, Antioch College, Philadelphia, PA
- Certificate Program in Refugee Trauma, Harvard Program in Refugee Trauma, Cambridge, MA
- Certificate Program in Family Therapy, Cambridge Family Institute, Cambridge, MA
- Director of Training in Psychology, The Jimmy Fund Clinic of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA
- Staff Psychologist, The Jimmy Fund Clinic at DFCI and Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- Child Psychology Consultant, Sudbury Public Schools, Sudbury, MA
- Child Psychology Consultant, The Groton School, Groton, MA
- Child Psychology Consultant, Carlisle Public Schools, Carlisle, MA
- Pre-Doctoral Internship in Clinical Psychology, Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- American Psychological Association, Member
- American Psychological Association, National Convention Program Co-Chair, Division 55
- Massachusetts Psychological Association, Member
- Massachusetts Psychological Association, Program Committee (1998-2000); Board of Directors (2000-2012)
- Ardicare, Board of Directors
- Brain Aneurysm Foundation, Medical Advisory Board
- Facing Cancer Together: A Community of Hope, Board of Trustees
- Jewish Family Service Metrowest and William James College Syrian Refugee Resettlement Project team member