Steven Barreto, PhD
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
- Associate Professor, Core Faculty, Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program
- PhD Clinical Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- MA Sociology, University of Michigan
- BA Sociology, Stanford University
- Family Therapy (research and practice)
- Clinical Practice Seminar (Year 2), Practice Based Learning
Research and Practice Interests
- Family therapy (integrated practices, assessment, and outcome measurements)
- Children with serious emotional disturbance (trauma, coping)
- Digital peer harassment/aggression and family communication
- Juvenile fire-starting (multiple family group evidenced-bases intervention)
- School-based assessment of emotional disturbance and resilience among children of color
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Associate Professor (Clinical) Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Licensed Psychologist, State of Rhode Island (PS00589)
- Henrietta Leonard Award for Excellence in Teaching, Alpert Medical School, Brown University, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (2010)
Publications and Presentations
Guest Editor, Special Issue ( upcoming 2022), APA Journal, Practice Innovations (Clinical Complexity)
Barreto, S.J., Zeff, K., Boekamp, J.R., & Paccione-Dyszlewski, M. (2016). Fire behavior in children and adolescents. In A. Martin & F. Volkmar (Eds.), Lewis’s child and adolescent psychiatry: A comprehensive textbook, 5th Edition. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams and Wilkins: Philadelphia.
Bodzy, M., Barreto, S.J., Swenson, L., Liguori, G., Costea, O.G. (2015) Self-Reported Psychopathology, Trauma Symptoms and Emotion Coping Among Child Suicide Attempters and Ideators: An Exploratory Study of Young Children. Archives of Suicide Research.
Barreto, Adams, & Daly (2014) Windows of Opportunity: Family Systems Theory and Developmental Considerations for Supporting Youth, Parents and Clinicians in the Digital Age. Journal of Youth Development: Bridging Research and Practice, 9:1.
Barreto, S.J., Boekamp, J.R., Armstrong, L.M. & Gillen, P. (2004) Community-Based Interventions for Juvenile Firestarters: A Brief Family-Centered Model, Psychological Services, 1, 158-168.
Barreto, S. J. & McManus, M. (1998) Casting the Net for “Depression” Among Ethnic Minority Children from High Risk Urban Communities, Clinical Psychology Review.
Dornbusch, S., Carlsmith, M., Barreto, S. (formerly Bushwall), Ritter, P., Leiderman, B., Hastorf, A., and Gross (1985) Single Parents, Extended Households, and the Control of Adolescents, Child Development, 56, 326-341.
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Senior Psychologist, Family Therapy Program, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University, Department of Psychiatry
- Member of the Clinical Training Faculty of the Brown University Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychology Fellowship Training Programs
- Senior Psychologist, Bradley Pediatric Partial Hospital and Children's Partial Programs
- Psychology Coordinator, Children's Inpatient Unit, Bradley Children's Psychiatric Hospital
- Clinical Director, Exeter House Residential Program
- Co-Director Bradlery Hospital Firesafe Families Program
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship at the University of Michigan (child and family therapy and child custody evaluation).
- Postdoctoral Fellowship (APA Accredited) at Brown University's Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior and Bradley Children's Psychiatry Hospital (ADHD and Children and Families in Residential Treatment)
- American Psychological Association (Member since 1990)
- Member APA Division 43 Couple and Family Therapy
- Advocate for Marriage Equality, State of Rhode Island (drafted professional association statements adopted by RI Psychological Association; testified to state senate committee).
- Founding member, Diversity Committee, Brown University Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychology Training Program)
- Work Group on Bullying and Suicide, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (2013)
- Governing Board Member Rhode Island Juvenile Firesetting Coalition (2006)
- Singer and Board Member, Rhode Island Civic Chorale