Information and Resources for the William James College Community During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
This page offers informational updates for the William James College Community.
- For public resources and materials, please visit the William James College Resource Hub.
- To read regular updates from William James College President Nicholas Covino, please see President's Updates.
- For answers to Frequently Asked Questions, or to ask a question, please see our COVID19 FAQ page.
The building is currently open during the following hours:
|Monday||8:00 am - 6:00 pm*|
|Tuesday||8:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Wednesday||8:00 am - 4:00 pm|
|Thursday||8:00 am - 6:00 pm*|
*If there is an event, the building will remain open until 7 pm. Event dates will be announced in advance. Everyone must vacate the building by 7 pm on event dates.
As Massachusetts continues to manage the outbreak of the novel coronavirus and COVID-19, William James College has appointed a Task Force to monitor current recommendations from the government as well as to evaluate the health needs of our community. We are assessing our situation daily to determine what actions we need to take. We have plans in place to support the decisions that best serve our community and we are working proactively to keep ourselves and our community healthy.
- Classes will be held online for the Fall 2020 semester.
- The College will employ a hybrid (online/in-person) format for Orientation, then move to remote academic instruction (online classes) for all students for the fall semester.
- Field education/experiential learning remains scheduled to occur in person, unless otherwise noted by individual sites.
- Please see Frequently Asked Questions for more information about expectations around online courses.
- Faculty and staff who are not designated essential personnel are working remotely.
- Work-from-home resources and guidelines are available on the IT website.
- Staff will begin returning to campus on a staggered schedule on Monday, August 3.
- On-campus building operations, including library access, are temporarily suspended.
- The building is closed to non-essential personnel until staff return on August 3.
- Please see this page for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- Mass.gov, Department of Public Health, Response to COVID-19
In addition to the normal cleaning schedule, the Facilities Team is disinfecting surfaces around the building every two hours throughout the school day; this includes high-traffic areas, elevator buttons and railings, entryway surfaces and hand rails. For more information, please see our Facility Health & Safety page.
When returning to the building, please:
- Use only the front entrance.
- Scan your ID badge and complete a health form upon arrival.
- Stay home if you are symptomatic in any way and call your health care provider. Please help the community by keeping yourself apart from the community until you are fully recovered.
- Wash hands frequently throughout the day.
- Masks must be worn in the facility.
Assessment & Response
Department chairs, administrators and the College leadership team have plans in place to cover various contingencies at the College should the need arise. It is essential that we’re following CDC guidelines and working together following our community guidelines to stay well and keep our community well.
Information on the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
The College received some limited funding from CARES to provide financial aid grants to some students. Please click here for additional information and disclosures.
- Quarterly Update, Period Ending September 30, 2020
- Quarterly Update, Period Ending December 31, 2020 - There were no expenditures in this period.
Common Health Resources
- The CDC updates its website frequently with extensive guidance and COVID-19 information: www.cdc.gov/nCoV
- Updates from MDPH are available at: mass.gov/2019coronavirus
- Newton updates are posted in the “City News” section of the town's website, and additional information is available at: newtonma.gov/covid19
This page is regularly updated. Last update October 28, 10:00 AM