Will the College require community members to be vaccinated?
Yes, William James College is requiring staff, faculty, and students to be fully vaccinated before our full return to campus for the Fall 2021 semester. For the few who might be unable to comply with this directive for religious or health restrictions there will be some room for reasonable accommodation. This decision was announced on May 5.
Mask Requirements (As of August 6, 2021)
- Effective August 6, 2021, masks are required when on the William James College campus grounds (indoors or outdoors).
- Per the Governor’s order, businesses other than those directly identified (transportation systems, healthcare settings, congregate care settings) are permitted to set their own rules regarding mask and vaccination policies. Students working in field sites should understand the mask requirements of their field site and abide by them.
- See “vaccine requirements” below for additional information.
Do I have to keep my mask on while I'm in class?
Yes, masks must be worn while in class.
Am I allowed to eat and drink in class?
Eating requires removing your mask for extended periods and, as such, is not permitted in class. If you need a drink during class, we ask that you keep your mask on and either plan to use a straw beneath your mask or step out of the classroom.
Where am I allowed to eat in the building?
In larger public spaces, where appropriate social distance can be maintained, students and faculty are permitted to remove their masks to eat. Please put your mask back on as soon as you are done eating.
Vaccination Requirements (As of August 6, 2021)
- All William James College community members must be vaccinated before returning to campus this fall for work or study.
- Accommodations will be made for those who, for documented religious or health reasons, cannot comply with this mandate.
- Faculty and staff members seeking accommodation should contact Human Resources to request the required documentation.
- Students seeking accommodation, please see the "forms" tab in this FAQ page.
- Students enrolled in fully remote programs, who will not physically report to campus at any point during the fall semester, and who will not be vaccinated, should complete the waiver process and indicate their online-only status.
- Submitting Proof of Vaccination or Waiver Documentation
- Log into the Student Portal and navigate to the Document Center.
- Under “COVID Vaccination Documentation,” upload proof of vaccination (a photo or scanned copy of a vaccination card showing student’s name and date of birth) or waiver documentation via the Document Center.
- Faculty/Staff will receive a form from HR that should be returned to HR (by email or hard copy) or submitted via Teams.
- Community members who are not vaccinated must provide a negative COVID test every week (until changes are formally made to this written policy).
- Results from PCR or over the counter tests are acceptable.
- Students should submit test results to their department coordinator. Faculty/staff should submit test results to HR.
- Visit mass.gov to Find a COVID-19 Test. Download the full list of available testing sites via the mass.gov link for contact information and to identify free or low cost sites.
- Per the Governor’s order, businesses other than those directly identified (transportation systems, healthcare settings, congregate care settings) are permitted to set their own rules regarding mask and vaccination policies. Students working in field sites should understand the vaccine requirements of the field site and abide by them.