Xenophobia and Anti-Asian Racism
Asian communities are experiencing physical assault, discrimination, and microaggressions on a tragic scale. In the past few weeks, there have been significant violent attacks against Asians and Asian Americans in California.
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Asians, Asian Americans, and Pacific Islanders have felt the targeted and have been wrongfully associated with causing and spreading COVID-19. Stop AAPI Hate, a reporting center launched in March 2020, received 2,808 reported incidents of racism and discrimination targeting Asians across the U.S between March 19 and December 31, 2020.
Anti-racism efforts to unlearn biases and actively take roles to support Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) communities are extremely important. Allies are urged to take time to educate themselves about the unique challenges of Asians, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders are facing in our country. Below is a list of compiled resources for responding to racism and xenophobia affecting Asians, Asian Americans, and Pacific Islanders.
- Stop AAPI Hate: “In response to the alarming escalation in xenophobia and bigotry resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, the Asian Pacific Planning and Policy Council (A3PCON), Chinese for Affirmative Action (CAA), and the Asian American Studies Department of San Francisco State University launched the Stop AAPI Hate reporting center on March 19, 2020.”
- Report an incident: https://stopaapihate.org/
- Anti-Asian Violence Resources
- The National Center for Institutional Diversity releases: Unmasked: Anti-Asian Violence amid the COVID-19 Pandemic
- 1-hour bystander intervention training to stop Anti-Asian/American and xenophobic harassment, offered by Hollaback and Asian Americans Advancing Justice (AAAJ)
- Understanding Racism and Its Related Stress Can Help People of Color Cope with Negative Effects by past AAPA President Dr. Karen Suyemoto and colleagues (Anxiety.org)
- Guide for Parents of Asian/Asian American Adolescents, created by the William James College Asian Mental Health Program, available in five languages.
- Joint Statement Condemning Hate Crimes Against Asian Americans
News Articles and Related Media
- “Confronting Anti-Asian Discrimination During the Coronavirus Crisis,” Ed Park, The New Yorker
- Dr. Miguel Gallardo’s Cultural Humility Podcast with Dr. Doris Chang “COVID-19 and Asian Communities: Where Racism and Bigotry Are Also a Health Hazard”
- Resources for coping with and advocacy for Anti-Asian racism (Racial Equity Toolkit)
- "Talking to Teens about Anti-Asian Discrimination in the Era of COVID-19," Webinar recording. Presented February 28, 2021. William James College Asian Mental Health Program, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Cross-Cultural Student Emotional Wellness, Boston University School of Social Work.