William James College strives to be a preeminent school of psychology that integrates rigorous academic instruction with extensive field education and close attention to professional development. We assume an ongoing social responsibility to create programs to educate specialists of many disciplines to meet the evolving mental health needs of society.
William James College is in an exciting phase of growth, poised to reach a next level of achievement in philanthropic capacity-building and fundraising results. A 40+ year old institution that was recently rebranded (formerly known as the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology), the College is currently engaged in strategic planning to define multi-year programmatic and funding priorities in key areas. The Vice President of Institutional Advancement will be responsible for strengthening the College’s Development Program, advancing its culture of philanthropy and securing the philanthropic support needed to underpin the College’s strategic aspirations, in both the near and longer term.
Reporting to and working closely with the President and the College’s Board of Trustees, the Vice President of Institutional Advancement is a member of the College’s senior team, responsible for all fundraising, development and advancement activities, including development communications and alumni relations. The Vice President will lead, provide strategic direction, manage and oversee administration of all aspects of Institutional Advancement.
The Vice President will help to identify, expand and build relationships and partnerships with potential donor constituencies, including alumni, friends, corporations and foundations. The Vice President will be responsible for developing a comprehensive plan to establish, implement and sustain infrastructure needed to grow development results. The Vice President, Institutional Advancement will manage the Institutional Advancement staff and maintain his/her own portfolio of major donor and potential donor relationships.
- Support and partner with the President and members of the Board of Trustees on fundraising initiatives, including individual strategies to build relationships and solicit major donors
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer to develop and implement annual and multi-year Development goals and strategies that align with the College’s strategic priorities and financial strategies
- Work with President and senior staff to develop and implement comprehensive development strategies for all current and potential constituencies: individuals, alumni, corporations, foundations, government funding sources
- Collaborate with President and senior staff to develop and articulate the Case for Support of College’s overall and specific funding priorities
- Develop and implement Alumni Relations strategies to encourage and support sustained engagement with the College
- Collaborate with College faculty and administrators as appropriate to advance the College’s internal culture of philanthropy
- Set direction, guide and manage Advancement team
- Establish and evaluate performance metrics for Advancement Team
- Monitor and report to President and Board on Development program progress
- Work with, staff and support the Board Development Committee
- Oversee management of infrastructure and systems to track and underpin Advancement work
- Build and strengthen donor relations and stewardship plans to sustain relationships with individual and institutional funders
- 10+ years of successful professional fundraising experience
- Ability to engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Direct and successful Major Gifts experience
- Strong organizational and management skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team – and also to be creative, flexible, entrepreneurial and take initiative
- Ability to work successfully in a collegial and dynamic work environment
- Minimum BA or BS degree; advanced degree preferred
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Ellen Collins, Director of Human Resources, at HR@williamjames.edu.