Faculty: Joseph A. Toomey, PhD
Joseph A. Toomey, PhD
Associate Professor, Clinical Psychology Department
Associate Chair, Clinical Psychology Department
Academic Director, Forensic Programs
Work Space 328J
|BA||Seton Hall University|
|MA||John Jay College of Criminal Justice|
|PhD||City University of New York (CUNY) Graduate Center|
- Ethics and Professional Practice
- Adult Forensic Psychology
- Advanced Topics in Forensic Psychology
- Social Bases of Behavior
- Clinical Seminar II
Research and Practice Interests
- Forensic assessment
- Deception detection
- Malingering mental illness
- Psychopathic personality
- Correctional mental health
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist and Certified Health Services Provider (Massachusetts)
Publications and Presentations
- Peer Reviewed Journals
- Marion, B. E., Sellbom, M. Salekin, R. T., Toomey, J. A., Kucharski, L. T., and Duncan, S. (2013). An examination of the association between psychopathy and dissimulation. Law and Human Behavior.
- Sellbom, M., Toomey, J. A., Wygant, D. B., Kucharski, L. T., and Duncan, S. (2010). The utility of the MMPI-2-RF validity scales in identifying criminal defendants who feign psychopathology on the SIRS. Psychological Assessment, 22, 22-31.
- Toomey, J. A., Kucharski, L. T., and Duncan, S. (2009). The utility of the MMPI-2 Malingering Discriminant Function Index in the detection of malingering: A study of criminal defendants. Assessment, 16, 115-121.
- Kucharski, L. T., Petit, A. N., Toomey, J. A., and Duncan, S. (2008). The utility of the Personality Assessment Inventory in the assessment of psychopathy. Journal of Forensic Psychology Practice, 8, 344-357.
- Kucharski, L.T., Toomey, J. A., Fila, K. and Duncan, S. (2007). Detection of malingered psychiatric disorder with the Personality Assessment Inventory: An investigation of criminal defendants. Journal of Personality Assessment, 88, 25-32.
- Book Chapters
- Toomey, J. A. (2012). Sexual Offender Treatment. In J. Shaw (Ed.), Psychology and law factbook: Learn the facts understand the controversies. European Association of Psychology and Law Publishing House.
- Kucharski, L. T., Toomey, J. A. (2007). Use of The Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory (3rd edition) in forensic practice. The Encyclopedia of Psychology and the Law.
- Toomey, J. A., Dobier, D., Jumper, S. (2014, March). Predicting institutional misconduct in a sample of civilly committed sexually violent persons (SVP). American Psychology – Law Society (AP-LS) Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Toomey, J. A., Dobier, D., Jumper, S. (2013, October). Looking towards an understanding of same-sex behaviors, beliefs and attitudes amongst detained sexual offenders. Sexual Offender Civil Commitment Programmers Network (SOCCPN) Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Toomey, J. A., Hartwig, M., and Kucharski (2013, March). Understanding the Role of Psychopathic Characteristics in Deceptive Behavior. American Psychology – Law Society (AP-LS) Conference, Portland, OR. Symposium Chair: Current and Future Directions in Deception Detection and Interrogations Research.
- Lap, J. M., Hartwig, M., and Toomey, J. (2012. November). Just How “Masked” is the Psychopath?: Lay Observers Ability to Perceive Psychopathic Traits in Others. American Society of Criminology Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Gu, W., Shiva, A., Toomey, J., and Matthews, L. (2011, March). Using Personality Assessment Inventory (PAI) Axis-I diagnoses and rule outs to detect malingering. American Psychology and Law Society Conference, Miami, FL.
- Toomey, J., Kucharski, L. T., and Duncan, S. (2010, March). Assessing Psychopathic Personality Traits with the MMPI-2-RF: A Study of Criminal Defendants. American Psychology and Law Society Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Toomey, J., Hartwig, M., Ask, K., and Kassin, S. (2009, March). Swedish Police Practices and Beliefs while Interrogating Suspected Domestic Violence Perpetrators: A Self-Report Survey. American Psychology and Law Society Conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Toomey, J., Sellbom, M., Wygant, D., Kucharski, L. T., and Duncan, S. (2009, March). The utility of the MMPI-2-RF validity scales (F-r and Fp-r) in identifying criminal defendants who feign psychopathology on the SIRS. American Psychology and Law Society Conference, San Antonio, TX.
- Toomey, J., Duncan, S., and Kucharski, L. T. (2008, March). Psychopathy and Institutional Misconduct: An Investigation of Criminal Defendants. American Psychology and Law Society Conference, Jacksonville, FL.
- Toomey, J., Kucharski, L. T., and Duncan, S. (2007, June). A Comparison of the MMPI-2 and the PAI in the Assessment of Psychopathy. International Association of Forensic Mental Health Services Conference, Montreal, Canada.
- Toomey, J., Kucharski, L. T., Duncan, S. (2007, March). Detection of Feigned Psychiatric Disorder using the Malingering Discriminant Function Index (M-DFI): An Investigation of Criminal Defendants. Society for Personality Assessment, Arlington, VA.
- Toomey, J., Kucharski, L. T., and Duncan, S. (2005, March). An Examination of the Psychological Assessment Inventory and its Utility in the Detection of Malingering. American Psychology and Law Society Conference, La Jolla, CA.
Concurrent Leadership, Service and Professional Activities
- Designated Forensic Psychologist (DFP)
- Forensic Evaluator, Bridgewater State Hospital
- Court Clinician, Forensic Health Services/Massachusetts Partnership for Correctional Healthcare (MPCH)
- Regional Psychologist, Massachusetts Department of Correction/MPCH
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American Psychology, Law Society