Faculty: Katherine King, PsyD
Katherine King, PsyD
Associate Professor, Clinical Psychology Department
Director, Geropsychology Concentration
Faculty, Clinical Health Psychology Concentration
Work Space 314I
|PsyD||William James College|
|MA||William James College|
- CLI PS801 - Ethics, Standards, and Professional Practice
- CLI CS606 and 607 - Introduction to Clinical Practice
- CLI CS700 and 705 - Clinical Seminar II
- CLI GE500 - Geropsychology
- CLI GE520 - Special Topics in Geropsychology
- CLI GE550 - End of Life Interventions
- CLI BX701 - Adult CBT Theory and Practice
Research and Practice Interests
- Geropsychology Training and Workforce Development
- Psychotherapy at End of Life, Medical Aid in Dying, Suicide
- Minority and Global Aging
- Ethical and Moral Development of Clinicians
- Cognitive-Behavioral, Third Wave, Narrative, and Existential Psychotherapy
- Creativity, Creative Writing, and the Arts in reminiscence and other interventions
- Meditation and Mindfulness
- Narrative Medicine in Veterans’ Health Care and Professional Psychology
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Massachusetts (#9599)
- William James College One Year Faculty Award
Publications and Presentations
- King, K.D. (2018). Bringing Creative Writing Instruction into Reminiscence Group Treatment. Clinical Gerontologist 41(5), pp 438-444.
- King, K.D., Gosian, J., Doherty, K., Walsh, C., Pokaski Azar, J., Danhauer, S., and Moye, J. (2014). Implementing Yoga Therapy Adapted for Older Veterans who are Cancer Survivors. International Journal of Yoga Therapy, 24, pp 87-96.
- Rosowsky, E., King, K.D., Coolidge, F., Rhoades, C., and Segal, D. (2012). Marital Satisfaction and Personality Traits in Long-Term Marriages: An Exploratory Study. Clinical Gerontologist, 35, (2), pp 77-87.
- Poster Presentations at Professional Meetings
(Italicized names are mentored students)
- Sager, Z, Nathan, S, King, KD, Topor, D, Doherty, K, and Moye, J. (2020, November). Traumatic Disclosures in Medical Storytelling: A Thematic Analysis of My Life My Story. Poster presented at the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies 36th Annual Meeting, Virtual.
- King, KD, Graham, KL, Reid, B, Church, M, and Rosario, JE. The Hidden Cost of Age Oppression: Adultism, Ageism, and Interest in Serving Older Adults. (2020, November). In KD King (Chair), Geropsychology Training Innovations: Understanding Ageism and Adultism in Students and New Training Initiatives. Symposium presented at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Virtual.
- Church, M., Rosario, JE, Reid, BM, Sibley, MG, and King, K.D. (2020, October). Discomfort with Death among Psychology Graduate Students: Correlations with Age, Age Oppression, Caregiving, and Loss. Poster presented at the New England Psychological Association Annual Meeting, Virtual.
- Reid, BM, Burrows, E, Bryner, B, Graham, K, and King KD. (2019, August). What Doctoral Students Want to Learn About Aging. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Virtual.
- King, KD, Jolson, M, and Rosowsky, E. (2019, November). Developing Interest in Geropsychology Through Intergenerational Experience. In KD King (Chair), Turning the Tide – Promising Initiatives in Geropsychology Training and Recruitment. Symposium at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Austin, TX.
- King K.D. (2018, November). Why don’t you want to work with older adults? Comparing students with and without an interest in geropsychology. Poster presented at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Boston, MA.
- King K.D., Gosian J, Doherty K, Walsh C, Pokaski-Azar J, Chapman J, Danhauer SC, and Moye J. (2013, June). Implementing Yoga therapy adapted for older veterans who are cancer survivors. Poster presented at the International Association of Yoga Therapists Symposium on Yoga Therapy and Research, Boston, MA.
- Doherty K, Moye J, Walsh C, Pokaski-Azar J, Gosian J, Chapman J, King K, Sohl S, and Danhauer S. (2013, June). Yoga improves distress, fatigue, and insomnia in older veteran cancer survivors: Results of a pilot study. Poster presented at the International Association of Yoga Research Symposium, Boston, MA.
- June A, Mulligan E, Moye J, Gosian, J, Herman, John AL, and King K.D. (2012, August). Pain in military Veterans after cancer treatment: Intensity and impact. Poster presented at the 120th Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Orlando, FL.
- Mulligan E, Schwartzenburg M, Naik AD, Gosian J, Herman L, Jahn AL, June A, King K and Moye J. (2012, August). Social relationships among military Veterans with oral-digestive cancers: Risk and protective factors. Poster presented at the 120th Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Orlando, FL.
- Moye J, King K, Sohl S, Walsh C, Pokaski-Azar J, Chapman J, Doherty K, and Danhauer S. Developing a cancer survivor yoga program for older male veterans. (2012, June). Poster presented at the 6th Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference, Arlington, VA.
- Doherty K, King K, and Moye J. (2012). Developing a cancer survivor yoga program for older veterans. (2012, May)Poster presented at VA Research Week, Boston, MA.
Concurrent Leadership, Service and Professional Activities
- Owner and Clinical Psychologist, Dearborn Wellness, LLC (Independent Clinical Practice) (2016 - Present)
- Co-Host, Noble Mind Podcast (2019-Present)
- Trainee, Narrative Medicine, Columbia University School of Professional Studies (2019-Present)
- Clinical Supervisor, VA Boston Healthcare (2016-2017), Pembroke Hospital (2015-2016), William James College (2012-2015)
- Clinical Psychologist, Integrated Behavioral Associates, 2012- 2016
- Senior Instructor, Cambridge College, 2011-2019
- CAGS and Geriatric Mental Health Program Chair, Cambridge College, 2012-2015
- Board Member, Graduate Programs Member-at-Large, Council of Professional Geropsychology
Training Programs (2021-Present)
- CoPGTP Representative to Council of Chairs of Training Programs (2021-Present
- Board Member, Massachusetts Gerontology Association (2019-Present)
- Newsletter Editor, Psychologists in Long-Term Care (2019-Present)
- Invited Panelist. Mental Health Panel Discussion sponsored by Dedham Human Rights Commission and Dedham Public Library. (March 2020)
- Invited Panelist. Annual Conference, Massachusetts Gerontological Association. (April 2019)
- Invited Lecture: Healthy Relationships. Guest Speaker for the Hingham Council on Aging "Aging Mastery" Series. Presented to area community members, June 2016 and 2017.