Faculty: Claire Fialkov, PhD
Claire Fialkov, PhD
Professor, Clinical Psychology Department
Faculty, Center for Multicultural and Global Mental Health
Co-Director, Kenya Immersion Program
Coordinator, Clinical Department Mentorship Program
Co-Coordinator, Student Leadership Clinical ACES
Member, Faculty Advisory Committee
Member, Faculty Promotions Committee
- Boston University
- Columbia University
- Clark University
- Introduction to Family Therapy
- Clinical Practice of Family and Systems Theory
- Clinical Seminar I
- Clinical Seminar II
- Clinical Seminar IV: Supervision and Consultation
- Appreciative Inquiry and Qualitative Methods
- Positive Psychology
- Community Trauma and Collective Healing
Research and Practice Interests
- Project Manager and PI for a Women First International grant to develop economic enterprises
and psychosocial growth in a Kenyan Maasai community.
- Program coordinator for Naasisho Maa and Women First International, a global fund
supporting women’s economic empowerment and gender equity.
- Positive psychology and strength based practices
- Global Mental Health and Education
- Curriculum Development
- Program Evaluation
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Government of the District of Columbia (#1000978), issued 7/14/14
- Licensed Psychologist, Health Service Provider, Massachusetts (#4075)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Massachusetts (#345)
- Certified AAMFT Approved Supervisor
- Certified to teach national credentialing course for Approved Supervisors
- Certificate of Advanced Study in Marriage and Family Therapy, The Kantor Family Institute
Publications and Presentations
- Fialkov, C. and Haddad, D. (2022). Education as a Path to Gender Justice for Maasai
Youth. African Journal of Gender, Society and Development, Vol. 11, No. 1, 119-130. doi.org/10.31920/2634-3622/2022/v11n1a6.
- Fialkov, C., Haddad, D., Ajibose, A., LeFlufy, C., Ndungu, M., and Kibuga, R. (2021).
The Impact of Menstrual Hygiene Management and Gender on Psychosocial Outcomes for
Adolescent Girls in Kenya. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth. Vol. 26, No. 1, doi.org/10.1080/02673843.2021.1898424.
- Fialkov,C., Haddad, D., Ajibose, A., Ndungu, M., Kibuga, R., Gabriel, D., Kariuki,
J., LeFlufy, and Burquest, M. (2019) Menstrual Hygiene Management for Girls in Kenya:
An Evaluation of the Always School Program. Paper presented at the Women Deliver 2019
Conference, Vancouver, Canada, June 3-6, 2019.
- Gowan, M., Fialkov, C., and Haddad, D. (2019) Strength based learning in a Kenyan
Primary School Community: An Application of the IPOD model, Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner,
Vol. 21, No. 1, February, 2019, doi.org/10.12781/978-1-907549-38-0-7.
- Fialkov, C., and Haddad, D. (2018) Menstrual hygiene management for girls in Kenya: An evaluation of The Always School
Program. Paper presented at the Forum on Private Sector Participation in Menstrual Hygiene
Management in Kenya, Jacaranda Hotel, Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya, June 22, 2018.
- Fialkov, C., and Haddad, D. (2018, June) Menstrual hygiene management for girls in Kenya: An evaluation of The Always School
Program [White paper]. Presented to the Kenya Ministries of Education, Health and Sanitation and Gender.
- Fialkov, C., Contreras, P.M., Kliman, J., Haddad, D., Bennasar, M.C., Napoli, M.,
St. Louis, G., and Bloom, J., (2017) Innovations in Global Mental Health. Symposium lead, New England Psychological Association, Boston, Massachusetts, October
- Gowan, M., and Fialkov C. (2017). Making a case for girls' well-being: The impact of strengths-based learning in a Kenyan
primary school. Paper presented at New England Psychological Association (NEPA) Annual Meeting, William
James College, Newton, Massachusetts, October, 21, 2017.
- Fialkov, C. and Haddad, D. (2017) Kenyan Empowerment and Education Project Cultivating Strengths for Education and Health. Presented at the Kimo Wellness Foundation Conference for Education and Empowerment,
Thika, Kenya, February 21, 2017.
- Fialkov, C. (2017) Beyond Competency in Supervision: Lifelong Learning and Strength Based Practice. William James College, April 28, 2017.
- Fialkov, C., Haddad, D., Ajibose, A., Cournoyer, K., Gowan, M. (2017, January) The Kenya Empowerment and Education Project, Curriculum Version 3©. William James College, Newton, Massachusetts. Approved by Kenya Institute of Curriculum
Development (KICD) 4/12/17.
- Fialkov, C. (2016) A Program for Positive Education and Teacher Empowerment: Increasing Resilience and
Well Being in Kenyan Youth. A concept paper presented to the Kenyan Ministry of Education, July 1, 2016, Nairobi,
- Fialkov, C. (2016) Faith as a Way Forward. The Taos Institute Publication: Creating
Promising Futures through Social Construction. January 15, 2016.
- Fialkov, C., Haddad, D., Ndirangu, N. and Karanja, J. (2015) Tukae Tusemesane – Let’s
Sit Down and Reason Together, Enlivening Strengths and Community, International Journal of Appreciative Inquiry, Volume 17 (3), 27-37. dx.doi.org/10.12781/978-1-907549-24-3.
- Fialkov, C., Haddad, D., Ndirangu, N., and Karanja, J. (2015) Tukae Tusemesane – Let’s Sit Down and Reason Together, Enlivening Strengths and Community,
World Appreciative Inquiry Conference (WAIC), Johannesburg, South Africa, July 8,
- Fialkov, C. (2015) A Dialogue on Healthcare and Community Building. Taos Institute
Conference, Santa Fe, New Mexico, May 1, 2015.
- Fialkov, C. and Haddad, D. (2014) What East African NGOs Teach Us About Organizational
Development, Society for Human Resource Management, February 17, 2014.
- Oppenheimer, M.F., Fialkov, C., Ecker, B., and Portnoy, S. (2014) Teaching to Strengths:
Character Education for Urban Middle School Students, Journal of Character Education,
Volume 10 (2), 91-105.
- Fialkov, C. and Haddad, D. (2014) The Strength Landscape Project. Canadian Conference on Positive Psychology, Ottawa, Canada, July 17, 2014.
- Fialkov, C. and Haddad, D. (2014) Application of Appreciative Inquiry and Reflective Practice to Psychotherapy Supervision.
Positive Psychotherapy: Fostering Resilience and Well-Being, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, May 9-10, 2014.
Concurrent Leadership, Service and Professional Activities
- Principal Investigator and Project Manager, P&G/ Children's Safe Drinking Water Grant
for Uniting for Mara – designed to unit the water resource, economic empowerment and healthcare sectors
in the Maasai Mara.
- Founding Partner at Appreciative Action a consultation practice dedicated to joining with communities for sustainable solutions
to climate change and gender justice.
- The Taos Institute, Associate Member
- IPPA, International Positive Psychology Association, Charter Member
- AAMFT, American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, Clinical Member
- AAMFT, American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, Approved Supervisor
- MAMFT, Massachusetts Association of Marriage and Family Therapy, Clinical Member