Faculty: Kathy Dardeck, EdD
Kathy Dardeck, EdD
Adjunct Faculty, BS in Psychology and Human Services
|EdD||Counseling Psychology||University of Massachusetts|
|MEd||Psycholinguistics and Reading||University of Massachusetts|
|BS||Elementary Education||Boston University|
- Introduction to Family Systems and Family Therapy (FMT 325)
- Ethics and Human Services (PHS330)
Research and Practice Interests
- Clinical Supervision
- Traumatic Stress in Emergency Medical Service Providers
- Mitigation of Traumatic Stress in General Populations
- Disaster Mental Health
- Health Promotion for Marginalized Populations
- Machine Learning (Artificial Intelligence) Applied to Mental Health Diagnosis
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Certified Health Services Provider (Massachusetts)
- International Critical Incident Stress Foundation Approved Trained Trainer in School Crisis Response
- Ezra Saul Psychological Service Award (2013) for outstanding contributions to the enhancement and acceptance of psychological services and programs in Massachusetts; Massachusetts Psychological Association.
- Presidential Citaiton (2001) for contribution in facilitating and providing disaster response services in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center (Ground Zero); American Psychological Association.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Award of Appreciation (2001) for providing requested rapid assessments for emergency services at the World Trade Center in New York City subsequent to the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the United States.
- Presidential Citation (2000) for work on National Advisory Committee to the Disaster Response Network; American Psychological Association.
- Eaton E. Freeman Award (2000) for outstanding contribution to Western Massachusetts Emergency Medical Services Critical Incident Stress Management Team; Western Massachusetts EMS.
Publications and Presentations
- Mor, N. and Dardeck, K. (2021). Applying a Convolutional Neural Network to Screen for Specific Learning Disorder. Learning Disabilities: A Contemporary Journal, (Volume 19, Issue 2, pp. 161-169). files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1314763.pdf
- Stephenson-Hunter, C. and Dardeck, K. (2019). Locus of Control and Health Promotion for Marginalized Populations. Journal of Social, Behavioral, and Health Services, (Volume 13, Issue 1, pp. 115127). DOI:10.5590/JSBHS.2019.13.1.07
- Mor, N. and Dardeck, K. (2018). Quantitative Forecasting of Risk for PTSD Using Ecological Factors: A Deep Learning Application. Journal of Social, Behavioral and Health Sciences, (Volume 12, Issue 1, pp.61-73). DOI:10.5590/JSBHS.2018.12.1.04
- Mor, N. and Dardeck, K. (2017). Mitigation of Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms From Chronic Terror Attacks on Southern Israel. Journal of Social, Behavioral and Health Sciences, (Volume 11, Issue 1, pp. 47-64). DOI:10.5590/JSBHS.2017.11.1.03
- Dardeck, K. (2003). Living with Chronic Uncertainty in a Post-9/11 World. Massachusetts Psychological Association Quarterly, (Vol. 47, Number 1).
- Dardeck, K. (2001). Reflections from Ground Zero. Massachusetts Psychological Association Quarterly, (Vol. 45, Number 3).
- Matthews, W. and Dardeck, K. (1985). Construction of Metaphor in the Counseling Process. American Mental Health Counselors Association Journal, (Vol. 7, pp. 11-23).
- Hendricks-Noble, F. and Dardeck, K. (2013, July). Redesigning the Case Study for Use in Graduate Level Blended Courses. Presentation at the 10th Annual Sloan Consortium Blended Learning Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- Dardeck, K. (October, 2012). Psychological First Aid as Evidence-Informed Intervention in Disaster Mental Health Response. Presentation at the Massachusetts Psychological Association Annual Conference. Norwood, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. Chair, Staub, E., Dass-Brailsford, P. (August, 2011). International and Domestic Disaster Mental Health Response to Effect Positive Social Change. Symposium presentation at the American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Washington, D.C.
- Dardeck, K, Tishelman, A. (November, 2010). Regional Disaster Response Networks: Description, Purpose, Significance and Current Initiatives. International Society of Traumatic Stress Studies Conference. Montreal.
- Dardeck, K. (June, 2010). Disaster Mental Health Response Skills Workshop. Massachusetts Psychological Association 6 CE Presentation. Boston, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (December, 2005). Introduction to Disaster Mental Health. Massachusetts Psychological Assocation 6 CE Presentation. Boston, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (November, 2002). Wellness, Resolve and Healing: The Role of Mental Health in Disaster Preparedness and Response. Invited address at the Northeast Regional Emergency Management Conference presented by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Worcester, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (November, 2002). Trauma and Disaster Response with Children. Invited talk as part of the International Violence Series, Child Protective Team, Children's Hospital, Boston, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (November, 2001). Invited address on September 11, 2001 in Perspective: How Trauma, Loss and Posttraumatic Stress Affects Individuals and Communities. Critical Issues Forum, Asnuntuck Community College, Enfield, Ct.
- Dardeck, K. (June, 2001). Responding to Disasters: The Role of Psychologists. Massachusetts Psychological Association 6 CE Presentation, Wellesley, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (May, 1999). Children and Disaster Mental Health. Invited CEU Presentation to Massachusetts Department of Mental Health Workers, Northampton, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (April 1997). Disaster Response Roles in Psychology. Invited Lecture, Springfield College, Springfield, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (October, 1993). Medical Ethics and Decision Making. Invited panel presentation at the Medical Ethics and Journalism Conference co-sponsored by the University of Massachusetts and Kaiser Permanente, Amherst, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (October, 1992). Developing Brief Therapy Treatment Plans. Invited presentation to mental health staff of Gandara Counseling Center, Springfield, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (April, 1987). Adult Children of Alcoholics. Keynote speaker of a conference for faculty and deans at Amherst College, Amherst, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (November, 1986). Women and Stepparenting. Invited presentation at Providence Hospital's Women's Health Forum, Holyoke, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (October, 1986). Invited talk on Preventing Adolescent Depression and Suicide: A Community Mental Health Presentation, Northampton, YMCA.
- Dardeck, K. (May, 1986). Invited Presentation on Stress Management to staff at Brightside Children's Center, West Springfield, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (May, 1986). Radio talk show on stepparenting. WREB-Holyoke, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (March, 1986). Women and Stepfamilies. Presentation at International Women's Day Celebration sponsored by the YWCA and The Elms College, Chicopee, Ma.
- Dardeck, K. (May, 1985). Therapeutic Metaphor. Presentation at the Family Therapy Conference sponsored by the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Ma.
Concurrent Leadership, Service and Professional Activities
- Private practice - Hanover, MA
- Core Clinical Doctoral Faculty, School of Psychology, Walden University, Minneapolis, MN
- Editorial Board Reviewer for Walden University online Journal published in Scholarworks
- National Advisory Committee Member of APA Disaster Response Network Committee
- Disaster Preparation and Response Psychological Consultant
- Adjunct Faculty, Graduate School of Psychology, Lesley University, Cambridge, MA
- Chair and Co-Chair of Disaster Response Network (Massachusetts Psychological Association)
- Member, Governor's Committee on Disaster Mental Health Services, Ma Exec Office of Health and Human Services
- Board of Directors, Massachusetts Psychologial Association
- Senior Psychologist Valley Medical Group, Northampton, MA
- Psychologist member, Medical Ethics Committee, Northeast Permanente Medical Group
- Clinical Director, Western Ma. Emergency Services Critical Incident Stress Management Team
- Psychological Consultant to Fire Department of New York City subsequent to September 11 terror attacks
- Psychological Consultant to 7 Catholic Elementary Schools, Chicopee, MA
- Adjunct Professor of Psychology, Clinlcal Nursing Program, Greenfield Community College, Greenfield, MA
- Adjunct Professor of Psychology Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA
- Assistant Dean of Students and Assistant Director of Career Counseling, Amherst College
- Eastern Massachusetts Internship Program Coordinator, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Massachusetts Psychological Association, Fellow
- American Psychological Association, Life Member
- Trauma division (56) of American Psychological Association
- Counseling division (17) of American Psychological Association
- Psychology Beyond Borders - member
- American Red Cross - psychologist volunteer