Faculty: Niko Wilson, PhD, LMHC, NCC
Niko Wilson, PhD, LMHC, NCC
Assistant Professor, Counseling and Behavioral Health Department
Director, Couple and Families Therapy Concentration
||Counselor Education and Supervision
||University of Central Florida
||Palm Beach Atlantic University
||University of Central Florida
- Professional Issues and Ethics
Introduction to Family Therapy
Collaborative Therapy with Multi-Stressed Families
Trauma and the Contemporary Family
Clinical Skills and Practicum I
Clinical Skills and Practicum II
Research and Practice Interests
- Couples and Families
- Integrated Behavioral Health Care
- Women's Health
- Neuroscience Education in Counseling
- Clinical Supervision
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (Florida and Massachusetts)
- National Certified Counselor
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (Florida)
- AAMFT Clinical Fellow Designation
- Dissertation Award - 2021. University of Central Florida Student Scholar Symposium.
Publications and Presentations
- Wilson, N., and Contreras, P.M. (2022). Supervision as a Protective Factor: Trauma
Informed Strategies to Mitigate Counselor Burnout. Mcleod Institute on Addiction.
- Wilson, N., and Hagedorn, B. (2022). Trauma Informed Addiction Counseling: Its Crazy
to Do It Any Other Way! With Bryce. Mcleod Institute on Addiction.
- Wilson, N., and Barden, S. M. (2021). Infidelity in Couples. In M.E. Young, S.M. Barden,
and L.L. Long, (Eds.), Counseling and Therapy for Couples: An Integrative Model (Ch.
10). Pearson Education.
- Barden, S.M., Silverio, S., Wilson, N., Taylor, D. and Carlson, R. (2021) Couples
coping through COVID: Implementation of an online relationship intervention. Couple
and Family Psychology: Research and Practice.
- Wilson, N., Russell, B. (2020, January). Neuro-informed counseling: Considerations
when including both the mind and the brain in mental health counseling. University
of Central Florida 12th Annual Counselor Education Conference. Orlando, FL.
- Wilson, N. (2020, January). Safety first: Adapting evidence-based trauma interventions
for stabilization in integrated care. University of Central Florida 12th Annual Counselor
Education Conference. Orlando, FL.
- Butler, K., and Wilson, N. (2020, November). Matters of Diversity. Panel Member. University
of Central Florida, Orlando, FL.
- Wilson, N., Russell, B., and Finnell, L. (2019, October). Mind the gap: The absence
of education and supervision related to working with family systems impacted by trauma.
Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. Seattle, WA.
- Hagedorn, W. B., and Wilson, N. (2019, March). Applications of acceptance and commitment
therapy: Navigating shame and moral injury. American Counseling Association. New Orleans,
- Hagedorn, W. B., Chase, A., and Wilson, N. (2018, October). Fostering affective empathy
in students working with addicted clients. Southern Association for Counselor Education
and Supervision. Myrtle Beach, SC
Concurrent Leadership, Service and Professional Activities
- Private Practice - Mental Health and Marriage and Family Counseling
- Co-Chair, Women's Interest Network, Southern Assoication for Counselor Education and
- Emerging Leader, Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision
- Co-Coordinator, Integrated Care Symposium, University of Central Florida
- President, Counselor Education Doctoral Student Organization, University of Central
- Conference Research Coordinator, Counselor Education Department, University of Central
- Leadership Council, Apopka Clinic, UCF College of Medicine
- Association for Counseling Sexology and Sexual Wellness
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development
- Association for Assessment and Research in Counseling
- Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors
- Northern Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors