Faculty: Susan Powell, PhD
Susan Powell, PhD
Professor, Counseling and Behavioral Health Department
|PhD||Counseling Psychology||Southern Illinois University-Carbondale|
|MA||Counseling Psychology||Southern Illinois University-Carbondale|
|BS||Psychology||The Ohio State University|
- Diversity, Difference, and Inclusion
- Clinical Skills and Practicum I
- Practicum II
- Mental Health Counseling Internship I and II
- Career Counseling
- Capstone Project Seminar
Research and Practice Interests
Difference and diversity, including the impact of diversity-related courses on students' personal and professional development, as well as the subjective experience of faculty who teach such courses. Particular areas of interest include social class and upward mobility, disability and physical difference, racial and cultural identity development, and social justice issues.
- 2013 Excellence in Teaching Award, William James College (awarded by students)
- 2012 Excellence in Teaching Award (awarded by students). Shared with the Counseling Psychology Department. Commencement Exercises, Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
- 1998 Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award, ISPP-C (awarded by students)
- 1997 Outstanding Faculty Recognition Award, ISPP-C (awarded by faculty peers)
Publications and Presentations
- Powell, S. (2005). Fostering a positive sense of self in children with physicaldifferences and disabilities. In Proteus Syndrome Foundation Newsletter (12-13). Colorado: Proteus Syndrome Foundation.
- Laubscher, L., and Powell, S. (2003). Skinning the drum: Teaching about diversity as "other." Harvard Educational Review, 73(2), 203-224.
- Powell, S.R., and Yanico, B.J. (1991). A multimethod attitude study about women’s roles and issues. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 15(1), 97-101.
Professional Conference Presentations
- Powell, S., Orozco, S., and Cort, N. (2014, June). Cultural perspectives, values, and meaning: Integrating them into helping interventions. Presentation at the Thirty-Seventh Annual Erich Lindemann Memorial Lecture, Newton, MA.
- Powell, S. (2010, February). Using the Social Model to Integrate Disability and Physical Difference into Diversity Training. Presentation at the 27th Annual Winter Roundtable on Cultural Psychology and Education, New York, NY.
- Powell, S. (2009, October). Understanding Social Class and Upward Mobility: Clinical and Training Implications. Presentation at the Fifth Annual Diversity Day, Argosy University, Chicago.
- Powell, S. (2009, May). A New Approach to Integrating Disability and Physical Difference into Diversity Training. Presentation at the Diversity Best Practices Conference, Cleveland, OH.
- Bae, S., and Powell, S. (2007, June). Graduate Students’ Subjective Experience of Diversity Courses. Poster Presentation at the International Society for Psychotherapy Research 38th Annual Meeting, Madison, WI.
- Powell, S. (2006, July). Toward Cultural Competence: Becoming a Better Admission Counselor in a Diverse World. Presentation at the Annual Summer Institute of the Illinois Association of College Admission Counselors, Chicago, IL.
- Powell, S. (2005, July). Toward Cultural Competence: Becoming a Better Admission Counselor in a Diverse World. Presentation at the Annual Summer Institute of the Illinois Association of College Admission Counselors, Lebanon, IL.
- Powell, S. (2004, October). Fostering a Positive Sense of Self in Children with Physical Differences and Disabilities. Presentation at the Proteus Foundation Conference, Bethesda, MD.
- Powell, S., Campbell, M., and Slobig, A. (2004, October). Developing Culturally Competent Admissions Counselors: Results Oriented Diversity Training. Presentation at the 60th Annual Conference of the National Association of College Admissions Counselors, Milwaukee, WI.
- Laubscher, L. and Powell, S. (2003, June). Teaching about diversity as "other." Presentation at The Hawaii International Conference on Social Sciences, Honolulu, HI.
- Powell, S., and Ketzenberger, K. (1997, March). Integrating social class issues into Psychology: The role of the Division 35 Task Force. Presentation at the 22nd Annual Association for Women in Psychology Conference, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Soto, T., and Powell, S. (1996, August). Racial and ethnic minority issues in gay, lesbian, and bisexual journal publications: A ten year review. Presentation at the 104th Annual American Psychological Association Convention, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Powell, S., and Soto, T. (1996, August). Gay, lesbian and bisexual journal publications: A ten year review. Poster presentation at the 104th Annual American Psychological Association Convention, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Powell, S., and Wicks, L. (1996, March). Bridging the social class gap. Presentation at the 21st Annual Association for Women in Psychology Conference, Portland, OR.
- Powell, S., Davis, L., and Rhodes, T. (1995, March). Touching women’s lives: Increasing awareness of the role of social class in therapy. Presentation at the 20th Annual Association for Women in Psychology Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Powell, S., Luna, D., Griffin, J., and Stormeon, D. (1994, October). From working class to professional: Personal experiences of upward mobility. Presentation at the Fourth Annual Midwestern Conference on Diversity Issues and the Role of Counseling Centers, Champaign, IL.
- Powell, S., Tata, S., Burris, R., Primich, D., and Abrahamsom, D. (1994, October). An approach to providing diversity training to intercollegiate athletics staff. Presentation at the Fourth Annual Midwestern Conference on Diversity Issues and the Role of Counseling Centers, Champaign, IL.
- Powell, S. (1993, October). Social class: What do counseling center therapists need to know. Presentation at the Third Annual Midwestern Conference on Diversity Issues and the Role of Counseling Centers, Champaign, IL.
Concurrent Leadership, Service and Professional Activities
- Private practice – individual and couples counseling, organizational consulting related to diversity and difference
- Associate Director, MA Counseling Department, William James College, Newton, MA
- Associate Professor, Argosy University, Chicago/The Illinois School of Professional Psychology, Chicago, IL
- Director of Training and Community Service, Adler School of Professional Psychology, Vancouver, BC Canada
- Psychologist and Organizational Consultant, Independent Practice, Boston, MA and Swansea, IL
- Program Director and Associate Professor, M.A Professional Counseling Program, McKendree University, Lebanon, IL
- Director, M.A. Professional Counseling Program, The Illinois School of Professional Psychology-Chicago
- Staff Psychologist, Northern Illinois University Counseling Center, DeKalb, IL
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychological Association