COVID-19 Update: Our faculty and staff are working remotely at this time, but this does not mean we are closed. We’re here and ready to connect with you and to provide service via online delivery methods, phone, and email. Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-564-9376.
Organizational Leadership Master of Arts - Online Program
Scholarships are available for Fall 2020.
In today’s global economy, it’s critical for organizations to better understand the dynamic relationship between leadership and followership. What motivates individuals, groups and teams? How do you identify and support high performing leaders? What can we learn from neuroscience about the brain and how our leadership styles can positively impact an individual or team’s success? Leaders trained in this discipline are better prepared to manage a global workforce and lead an organization through today’s volatile and ever-changing marketplace.
The online Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership (MAOL) at William James College teaches students the essential strategic and psychological factors at play in contemporary business settings and provides them with the tools to become high performing global leaders.
Through blending business and psychology, the program focuses on leadership theory and application including: the underlying psychology of leadership and followership, team and group dynamics, and international leadership. The degree includes selection and leadership assessment evidence-based practices, international leadership, financial acumen for leaders, business strategy, organization design, and leading change.
Two Program Formats: Choose 100% Online or Blended (Combination of Online & Monthly Weekends-In-Residence)
The Master’s in Organizational Leadership is designed for working professionals and can be completed in 11-months full-time. Students can also choose to complete the courses part-time to be more flexible with their schedule.
Our online program includes online instruction with pre-recorded lectures and discussion boards. There are built-in real-world field experiences for all students in the program. The flexible capstone project allows you to build a niche area of expertise.
For students participating in the Blended Format, there are monthly weekends-in-residence held at William James College.
Practicum/Field Work Experience
Field work will start during the Identifying High Performance Leaders: Practicum and Assessment course and continue beyond the dedicated 5 weeks for an additional 6 weeks supported by faculty in weekly seminars. Students will create and conduct a structural behavioral interview and use an empirically vetted leadership assessment, e.g., Transformational Leadership, to assess and then debrief the leader to better understand the leader’s strengths, areas for growth, and developmental goals and next steps.
Who Should Enroll in the MA in Organizational Leadership Program?
- Leaders who want to deepen their understanding of systems, global markets, and the psychology of their followers.
- Consultants who want to increase their ability to work with leaders at a high level including organizational design in relation to strategy and market, and individual leadership development.
The MAOL program focuses on strengthening students' intellectual and practical competencies in:
- Using concepts from psychology and neuroscience to create wellbeing and high performance in human systems;
- Developing self-awareness of strengths and biases to be able to see organizational challenges and solutions more clearly and influence a wider variety of diverse stakeholders;
- Creating business strategies and organizational designs that fit with industry and market challenges;
- Ethically leading diverse and multicultural workforces;
- Business acumen;
- Leading socially responsible organizations;
- Assessing high performance leaders through structural behavioral interviews and empirically based personality assessments
What is the difference between Organizational Leadership and Organizational Psychology?
While the two fields share a foundation, each Master’s program takes a deep dive into their own specialty area. Organizational Psychology is focused on training organizational development and talent management practitioners. Organizational Leadership examines leadership development and business strategy. This includes leadership selection and assessment practices and the neuroscience of leadership.