The Admission Counselor is involved in every aspect of student recruitment and enrollment. The Admission Counselor will work under the supervision of the Director of Admissions and Associate Director of Admissions. General responsibilities include student recruitment, execution of the admissions process, record keeping and document organization. This is a full time position. Evening and weekend work is required.
Please note: Due to concerns related to COVID-19, this position will be working remotely three days a week and onsite two days a week until further notice.
- Cultivate and respond to all communications and queries consistently in a timely manner;
- Communicate and meet with prospective students, parents and educators to encourage and facilitate enrollment in the College;
- Reach out to applicants offering assistance and encouragement to applicants as they open their accounts;
- Verify application materials such as transcripts, test scores, pre-requisite courses, completion of degree requirements to apply to WJC;
- Create and match application records;
- Follow up with completion of admissions requirements;
- Keep current with academic program updates and offerings;
- Promote newly created programs;
- Represent the Admissions Office in webinars, on-campus and off-campus events;
- Execute webinars and offers support to webinar panelists;
- Create schedules, update materials, recruit, and train webinar panelists;
- Follow up with webinar attendee questions and remarks;
- Create webinar reports;
- Process application for scholarships, verify eligibility, corroborate with Financial Aid, follow up for completion, supply list and materials to the scholarship committee;
- Keep a count on merit scholarship awards to meet with assigned numbers per program and communicate with Chairs;
- Prepare applicant files in a timely manner for review by all pertinent staff;
- Track accuracy and possible updates on admission decisions;
- Consult with faculty on completeness of their decision reporting;
- Organize and schedule electronic and in-person applicant interviews;
- Update interview schedules;
- Authenticate applicant statuses through the process of admission;
- Issue formal interview invitations, confirm, and re-process as needed;
- Prepare admissions materials for campus display and distribution to prospective students;
- Maintain records of recruitment efforts and applicant correspondence per department guidelines;
- Prepare Admissions Office reports and statistics;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff and students;
- Coordinate student work study assignments;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of experience in a related field. Online studies are a plus.
- Familiarity with student recruitment or agencies that assist students in issues of educational access is preferred;
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for the mission of William James College – sensitivity to multicultural issues and a commitment to building a socially and economically diverse student body;
- Experience and comfort with virtual recruitment and on-line program deliveries is essential;
- Experience with higher education CRM software and virtual conferencing;
- Ability and willingness to learn data querying and manage information software;
- Thorough understanding of admissions terminology, policies, and procedures;
- Effective time management;
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, and work well under pressure;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal/human relations skills;
- Demonstrated presentation and facilitation skills;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Resiliency and energy;
- A valid driver’s license, and ability to travel to off-campus events;
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Michelle Costa, Human Resources Recruiting Manager at HR@williamjames.edu.
Inclusive Excellence at William James College
William James College is an institution and a community committed to the principles of excellence, fairness and respect for all people. Our Inclusive Excellence model infuses diversity, equity and inclusion efforts into the core of institutional functioning to realize the educational benefits of diversity both locally and globally. We are committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for change agents in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society.