Cynthia Lucero Scholarship
Each year, we award one Cynthia Lucero Scholarship to a deserving student who exhibits a strong dedication and commitment to the delivery of human services to the Latino community. The award is $15,000 per year for a maximum of four years. The Lucero Latino Mental Health Program (LMHP) owes its inspiration to the work of the late Cynthia Lucero, PsyD, a William James College graduate whose career, in part, was devoted to addressing the needs of Spanish-speaking people.
Applicants must submit an essay (maximum 500 words) addressing:
- What is your interest and level of commitment in the Latino Mental Health Program?
- What skills, qualities, and/or experiences would you bring to the program?
- What are your long term professional goals and how do you envision the program and the scholarship assisting you in achieving these goals?
We welcome applications from students who have accepted admissions and/or are enrolled in one of our in-person graduate programs and are considering joining the Lucero Latino Mental Health concentration.
You must be eligible to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be enrolled full-time (as defined by your program) to be considered for institutional assistance.
Awards are renewable annually, subject to continued satisfactory academic progress, fulfillment of Lucero Scholar responsibilities (described below), and evidence of financial need.
A LMHP Lucero Scholar Award selection committee will be appointed in the fall semester. The committee will include: LMHP/CMGMH faculty, staff, and a student representative.
- U.S. legal resident
- Interest in participation in LMHP
- Clear interest and commitment to work in the area of Latino mental health
- Good academic standing
- Evidence of financial need (as determined by financial aid office and/or other means)
- At least intermediate Spanish fluency
Applications will be accepted until the end of October and a decision will be made by mid-November.
Lucero Scholar Responsibilities
- Maintain good academic standing
- Full participation in LMHP activities including:
- Represent William James College at health fairs, community events etc.
- Representation at William James College fundraisers
- Representation at LMHP annual events (ie Meet & Greet, Fiesta, LMHP conference)
- Open house participation
- Web content contributions
- Posters to be used at events
- Mentoring of other Lucero students
- Contact for prospective students
- Conference presentations/poster presentations
- Disseminate/post news from the Latin world via email and bulletin board to our community.