Tips for Helping People Cope with Loss:
- Assist them in recognizing, naming and exploring their experience.
- Provide information about the customary course of, or response to their type of loss, while also validating their unique, individual experience.
- Re-grieving, sometimes with the use of such items photos, films, journals, visits, can be used as tools in giving meaning to and gaining mastery in response to the loss.
- Work toward helping people accept the loss, including all the attendant emotions.
- Encourage the involvement of others who can provide support – family and/or close friends, as well as referral to a support group.
- Be present and available and listen.
- Research & Advocacy