Surf Your Anxiety
Tips for Managing Anxiety
- Identify the situation that triggers your anxiety
- Build a ladder of these types of situations by varying elements such as time to exposure, distance from the trigger, and characteristics of the trigger.
- Start at a point somewhere in the middle of the ladder where you do feel uncomfortable, but won’t run away.
- Hold the trigger constant.
- Focus your attention on the trigger – no distractions.
- Wait for the anxiety to decrease and eventually bottom out at a much lower level.
The more you try to rationally control the physical aspects of anxiety, the worse it gets. Stop avoiding anxiety provoking situations. Move towards them. Surf them in.
- Research & Advocacy